Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Second ipsilateral idc sixteen years after first

Options
margarita61
margarita61 Member Posts: 2

Hello,

I'm back in the club! I had my first bout of breast cancer in 2005 when I was premenopausal so had lumpectomy, rads, Zoladex ( Lupron in US?) and then Tamoxifen. Last November ( I'm now 61) I had an MRI because I had painful ribs and although no mets found a 1.5 demon nodule *was*. So I've now been biopsied and CT'd ( waiting for nearly a month between biopsy and results of scan was really hard! NHS radiologist shortage....)

Anyway, scheduled for a mastectomy and no reconstruction on 2nd March. Think I will have letrozole if the grade remains at 2. Mainly worried about lymphoedema as I do have a minimal amount on my affected side. I'm imagining waking up with a massive, painful arm but I suppose there's not much the surgeon can do to avoid it. I had 9 nodes taken first time. What do they do if they can't find sentinel nodes the second time ? The radiologist said there's a lot of scarring under my arm.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi and see if there were any othe ipsi ladies out there who could share experiences.

Margarita x

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2022
    Options

Oh my goodness Margarita - what a nasty surprise. What side was your lumpectomy? Is this new issue on the same side? Or are you considering a bilateral mastectomy?

Edited to say oops - please excuse my ignorance. I looked up ipsilateral and see it's the same side.

Hope your surgery goes well & they don't have to mess any more of the lymph system

• margarita61
    margarita61 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi, Minus Two

I like your 'handle'! I've bought a t shirt that says One of a Kind so maybe that should be my new screen name!

Thanks for your good wishes. I can see that you've had a lot of chemo! Hopefully you've put that behind you now and you're enjoying life.

Houston and Folkestone. Couldn't be more different! Wonders of the Internet!

Best wishes,

Margarita x

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited February 2022
    Options

Margarita, we are sorry to see you back here again, but we will all help guide and support you as much as we can. Here is a forum all about Lymphedema that may be of interest to you.

Please, let us know how you're doing. We're thinking of you!

Warmly,

The Mods