Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

March 2022 Surgery

nipab
nipab Member Posts: 46

I am having unilateral mastectomy and reconstruction on my left side on March 3rd. I had lumpectomy and radiation on right side in 2015 and thought I am done with cancer. But somehow my DNA loves my breast to mutate this way! Lucky me!!

Surgery is at 10, so will go to hospital at 7 for pre surgery checklist. Will stay for one night and be back home next day. Until then, I have to go for X-ray, blood work, EKG and COVID test. I am hoping against all odds that I won't need chemo, but I know my luck, so not feeling too positive about it.

I was feeling down and moped around for couple of weeks, but now I snapped out of it and ready to face it.

Please share your experience and/or your fear/questions and let's go through it together.

Comments

• nipab
    edited February 2022

On one side, I am feeling good that no one has surgery scheduled (for March), but on the other side, 'I am alone' feeling is not good.

Anyone for March surgery? Let's go through it together!

• Jamoon
    Jamoon Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2022

@nipab You are never alone even if no one is having surgery you will have lots of support here. I will be thinking about. Good luck and hope your surgery is successful

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited February 2022

nipab - I agree with Jamoon, you are not alone. Others will probably join in as their surgeries get closer, I know several people having surgeries in March. If they don't join the thread you still have all of us here. I'll be checking back if you'd like to "talk." <3

• Noodlesg
    Noodlesg Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2022

Hi nipab, I am scheduled for surgery on Mar 7th. I did neoadjuvent chemo and just went for a post chemo MRI today. I did a CT scan last week. I have one last mtg with my BS and PS next week before confirming everything. I will most probably (99%) have a mastectomy followed by DIEP. Am very nervous, but I know it’s got to be done.

What are you doing to mentally prepare? I had been spending my free time seeing friends and trying not to think about surgery. Then last wk I had a covid scare, so am now just staying put. As if a breast cancer diagnosis isn’t hard enough, we have to deal with covid too!

Sending you lots of positivity. Hope all goes well onthe 3rd!

• BlueGreenBaby
    BlueGreenBaby Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2022

I am scheduled to have an SMX on March 4. I had 2 lumpectomies in December. Got a second opinion, they found more cancer in the same breast, so now just getting all of it taken care of. I will not be doing any reconstruction, going for an aesthetic flat closure.

• nipab
    edited February 2022

Thank you Jamoon and Serendipity09 for your encouraging words.

Noodlesg and BlueGreenBaby, glad to go through this journey together. I am going for left side mastectomy with implant. yesterday I had EKG, blood work and x-ray, did none of those when I had my lumpectomy 6 years ago! I guess for mastectomy they are needed. Three days prior is covid test. I work from home, so staying as busy as possible but when I go to bed at night, it takes almost three hours before sleep comes to my eyes. Also busy in filling up forms for intermittent leave from my company and state, so I could get paid.

• beginagain22
    beginagain22 Member Posts: 100
    edited February 2022

I am scheduled for lumpectomy and SNB 03/18/22. You aren’t alone. Let’s crush it

• buzzbomb
    buzzbomb Member Posts: 45
    edited February 2022

surgery set for March 9, will be following this thread

Best of luck to everyone

• Krgowl
    Krgowl Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2022

I'm having a SMX on my left side, along with likely lymph node removal, on March 4. I just finished TCHP a month ago and am hoping beyond hope for good pathology. I had a follow-up MRI after chemo, and it showed that my tumors have shrunk quite a bit, but it also picked up enlarged lymph nodes. :/ What a roller coaster!

Sending positive and healing vibes to everyone here. We are in no way alone in this.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited February 2022

Want to wish you well nipab (and others)!! The upcoming surgery you'll be having is somewhat similar to what mine was. I had BMX, so no radiation though early morning arrival for early surgery and one night stay in the hospital. I'm glad others with surgeries in the near future joined in too! It really helps hearing from others who are in a similar place or been through something similar. You are not alone....

• val1127
    val1127 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2022

You aren't alone for March - I'm scheduled for a March 11th SMX. It's been a fairly long road from diagnosis early Dec to finally startingtreatment. Had the third biopsy (2 on left breast) last week via MRI. That was “interesting". Doc says possibly 2 nights? Thant seems like a long time these days.

Will be following this thread and thinking of all of you. Prayers for all

• Suzzflwr
    Suzzflwr Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2022

Hi Nipab,

I hope you don't have to have Chemo also, try to think positively till you know differently. I will follow this thread, of course you’re not alone

I'm going in on Mar 14 for a lump and sent removal. That is my greatest fear, recurrence, I've contemplated bi- lay, but still weighing recup time. I'm almost 67

• beginagain22
    edited February 2022

Suzz,

I thought about the double mastectomy route too. I am havin a lumpectomy and sentinel node removal 03/18. I have a 4 year old and the recovery would be tough. I worry about reoccurrence too.

Nipab,Jamoon and Serendipity,

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• StonedPony
    StonedPony Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2022

Nipab—

I am very likely having surgery in late March— just have no idea what kind yet. My lump is on the large size and I have small breasts so who knows. I meet with the plastic surgeon in a week.

I’m not even a week out of diagnosis. Like you I am praying for no chemo (will get oncotype test post surgery) but if I must do it I will cold cap and have a hair replacement system lined up just in case.

Does anyone know anything about implants and radiation? Im hoping to get direct to implant, but if I need radiation is that usually a problem?

I feel like I’ve been on the phone scheduling appointments and tests all day. I can’t even eat anything, just too anxious.

Eliza

• nipab
    edited March 2022

StonedPony, there are many posts for implant and radiation. Please search for it, you will find your answer. I had lot of those days where I was on the phone constantly for appointments. Went for all the tests last week. Yesterday was covid test and now next two days just relax and pack up until it's time to go.

Please do not get so stressed that you cannot eat. Good nutrition is very important for healing better and faster. 6 years ago, when I had my lumpectomy and radiation, I was stressed too, but that was almost a walk in the park compared to I am sure what Mastectomy and then chemo will be.

This goes to everyone to do meditation and eat well. don't forget to exercise. I will write my post-surgery update by weekend.

• beginagain22
    edited March 2022

Great advice Nipab. Good luck, I will be thing of you and sending good vibes your way. I know my gym time has been one of the best things I have been able to do for myself during the tests and the waiting. Lowers the stress a bit and seems to help with sleep some. I am working on cleaning up my diet. I have been told that my goal of living forever could be sabotaged by mysteady diet of Hot Tamales and Red Bull, lol.

• nipab
    edited March 2022

I am home now after the left side mastectomy on Thursday 3/3. The surgeon and Plastic Surgeon came and talked to me before surgery and told me what they would do and asked if I have any questions. I said, 'As long as both of your hands are steady and not trembling, I am A-ok!' Everyone laughed out loud, and they gave me happy juice. Took about 5ish hours for surgery, did not feel any pain after I woke up as I was still under the good grace of anesthesia.

The whole night I wasn't allowed to sleep as every hour and a half they would come and check BP and give medicine. But in the afternoon, I came home with two drips and an expander. now, after 44 hours, I can see one drip has a very little outcome, so hopefully, it will go away at a one-week appointment. The hospital provides VNA service, so the nurse is coming today to check everything.

BlueGreenBaby, Krgowl, hope your surgeries went well yesterday!

• nipab
    edited March 2022

Forgot to mention that take a long charging cable for your phone or any device to the hospital. Also, you would just want to relax and keep your eyes closed, so tv, iPad, magazines nothing works. I took audio tapes, so I put the headphones on and keep my eyes closed. That definitely helps.

• beginagain22
    edited March 2022

Nipab,

glad you are home and all went well. Take care andwarm thoughts for lots of quick healing and recovery.

• Noodlesg
    Noodlesg Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2022

Hi nipab, thanks for sharing details of your surgery! I hope you’re feeling better every day.

Tomorrow is my turn, I am a bit nervous, but ready to get this cancer out too. I’m doing reconstruction right after, so I have a longer hospital stay. Doc thinksshe will probably have to remove all my lymph nodes on the left axillary, I pray she’s wrong.

I’ll share my surgery here, too! Wish me luck tmr 😀

• nipab
    edited March 2022

Noodlesg, our thoughts, and prayers are with you, always! I am surprised they want to remove all your nodes, but then they know best! They removed three of my nodes and now everything is sent for biopsy.

• kkubsky
    kkubsky Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2022

i am scheduled for double mastectomy March 25. Had lumpectomy and rads in 2016.

• owlgirl22
    owlgirl22 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2022

hi all-new here, lumpectomy tomorrow am. So nervous for pathology report on lymph node. diagnosed the day before my 50th. ready to get this process started. can’t sleep.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited March 2022

Welcome, owlgirl22! We're so sorry you find yourself here, but we sincerely hope that this community can be a source of support for you as you begin down this road. You are not alone! Best of luck tomorrow, we wish you a speedy recovery!

The Mods

• nipab
    edited March 2022

Kkubsky, I had a lumpectomy and Radiation in 2015, just got a mastectomy done on my left side, so I am right there with you. Are you getting an implant after mastectomy? Even on your radiated side? I was told no as radiated skin is not good for an implant, DIEP is the right way for it.

owlgirl22! so sorry you are going through this. I remember in 2015 when I was waiting for my biopsy results after lumpectomy. But I just had my mastectomy, and I can tell you lumpectomy and radiation are a breeze in comparison. Just relax and rest for a few days, you will be good to go in no time.

I am waiting for biopsy results and feeling anxious, hoping for the best!

• kkubsky
    kkubsky Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2022

No reconstruction for me. I am having a double mastectomy by choice. I just want to be done with it and not have more surgeries. Lumpectomy was really not bad. Radiation was a bit tougher towards the end for me as I had some skin issues. But it all healed up well. Guessing that mastectomy will be harder....

• buzzbomb
    buzzbomb Member Posts: 45
    edited March 2022

had my lumpectomy on Wednesday, it went very well and the doc did a great job patching me back together. Zero pain by Friday and stretching exercises are a breeze. I am beyond thrilled. Nipple is still a little unresponsive, not sure if that will get better

Final pathology in three weeks or so, not really expecting anything different.

I wish everyone well , my surgery seems really easy compared to what you are all going through….please take care.

• beginagain22
    edited March 2022

you rock!! Glad you are doing so well

• cc2nddia
    cc2nddia Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2022

My surgery is scheduled tomorrow, Mar 15. My first breast cancer was 22 years ago, lumpectory, chemo and radiation. This one is not a recurrence of the old cancer it's brand new. So mastectomy is the only option. I've chosen double mastectomy without reconstruction. (I'm 65 years old and the extended recovery period for the reconstruction didn't appeal to me. I'm nervous about the scars, not about being flat. I've been incredibly lopsided for years due to the surgery in 2000, so a single mastectomy wasn't something I am interested in either. How are you healing from the surgery? How did it compare to your expectations?

• cc2nddia
    cc2nddia Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2022

My surgery is scheduled tomorrow, Mar 15. My first breast cancer was 22 years ago, lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. This one is not a recurrence of the old cancer it's brand new. So mastectomy is the only option. I've chosen double mastectomy without reconstruction. (I'm 65 years old and the extended recovery period for the reconstruction didn't appeal to me. I'm nervous about the scars, not about being flat. I've been incredibly lopsided for years due to the surgery in 2000, so a single mastectomy wasn't something I am interested in either. How are you healing from the surgery? How did it compare to your expectations?