Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Vein Problems

Options
Krgowl
Krgowl Member Posts: 8

Hi all,

I finished TCHP 3 weeks ago, and my veins are shot. 🥴 I have one vein that's turned dark (it looks like a faint bruise line running up my arm), and on the same side, I have a small lump/knot in a vein near my wrist. The nurse said the darkening of the vein is normal but to "watch the lump." It's sore to the touch but not painful.

My other arm doesn't have any lumps but is a bit swollen (not as worrisome).

I'm hoping I can get the herceptin injection (as opposed to the transfusion) approved by my insurance soon so that I can give these poor veins a rest!!

Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,096
    edited February 2022
    Options

Krgrowl - I'm surprised that your did not recommend a port. For HER2+ patients, you'll on drugs for most of a year. Also a port can be used for all blood draws. I LOVED my port.

Of course they might use a 'pick' line, but that's much harder to keep clean & to make sure you have no infections.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,801
    edited February 2022
    Options

I’m so sorry you weren’t offered a port. As minus two mentioned, a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) might be possible should you need IV herceptin rather than an injection. Take care

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,309
    edited February 2022
    Options

Agree with the others and wonder why they never offered you a port. Even a PICC would be better! My mother had one of those and even though they are more likely to cause infection than a port, she had no problems with it. A port is definitely the way to go!