Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting for 3d Mammogram and Ultrasound and feeling restless

Options
L_L_L
L_L_L Member Posts: 21
edited March 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hello everyone!

Got a call back for 3d mammogram and Ultrasound after follow up screening and would like to understand while I wait to go in Thursday.

F 44, No family history of BC

Don't smoke or drink or use any recreational drugs and not taking any medication

Findings from 2 weeks ago, Feb 2022 mammogram screening:

Density: Breast density category B: The breasts have scattered areas of fibroglandular density

There is a 6 mm asymmetry in the outer posterior right breast as seen on the right XCCL view requiring additional imaging.

Breast physical was not performed as part of this evaluation.

IMPRESSION:

1. 6 mm asymmetry in the outer posterior right breast as seen on the right XCCL view.
  2. This finding requires additional imaging. Patient will be asked to return for a diagnostic right mammogram and possible ultrasound and further recommendations will be given at the time of callback. Tomography requested.
  3. Negative left breast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For comparison: My first ever mammogram was done July 2020 and the result said there are scattered areas of fibroglandular density in both breasts.

Findings from July 2020: There are benign appearing classification in the LEFT breast. No significant masses, calcifications, or other findings are seen in either breast.

Impression from July 2020: Benign

There are no mammographic evidence of malignancy. A one(1) year screening mammogram is recommended.

Mammogram BI-RADS: 2 Benign

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am little confused why the left breast didn't show any benign appearing classification this time and the right breast showed something new that was not there last time. I actually brought up concern with my previous PCP as I found big lump just under my left breast when suddenly I couldn't continue my routine walk/jog one day. That is the same time I noticed my breast do not look the same at all and one was firmer and the other was droopy and looked bigger. She just said it is normal to have non symmetrical breast and the lump is lipoma and nothing to worry about.

As much I would like to be calm and be positive until my appointments this Thursday, I am worried and would like understand what the current findings are and how concerned I should be. I understand it could be very well be nothing and I am glad that I am being sent for additional imaging and will get to know better. But hoping to get some thoughts and anything that will help me understand.

Thanks for taking time to read.

Comments

• cugymgirl
    cugymgirl Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2022
    Options

A lot of times, asymmetries end up being folds of tissue that efface during follow up screening. I had one just show up this last go round, and it turned out to be a simple cyst that caused it.I hope that holds true for you! You will know a lot more at your appointment. Also I have had calcifcations come and go, and other asymmetries come and go. I do not have breast cancer, but I have had issues over the years, so I try to come back and pay it forward! I hope all goes well for you!

• L_L_L
    edited March 2022
    Options

@cugymgirl Thank you so much for taking time to respond and for your comforting words, really appreciate it! Good to know that calcification and asymmetry can come and go and that it turned to be a cyst for you. At times I feel numb and at times I feel okay, but when I couldn't understand much, I had to read through some articles/sites and most of them said, asymmetry means more risk. so it terrified me. I noticed last year that my right breast is firmer, smaller and even the nipple and areole part is different in size and shape from the left breast, so I am waiting to get this over with. I also have another rare tumor inside my shoulder bone, that I am waiting to find out if its cancerous. Everything added up, making it difficult to be fully calm. I am hoping it is just something they are checking just in case and I get a clear and definite answer.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,958
    edited March 2022
    Options

Welcome, l_l_l, we're so sorry you find yourself here with this worry! We know it's difficult to stay calm, this can all be very overwhelming. We hope your appointment goes well on Thursday and the findings are benign, please do keep us posted.

The Mods

• cugymgirl
    edited March 2022
    Options

Let us know how your tests go tomorrow!! I hope nothing more than you get a clean bill of health! Also one more thing to mention. If you have lost any amount of weight since the last mammogram, it can change things!

• cugymgirl
    edited March 2022
    Options

How did everything go?

• L_L_L
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you so much Mods and cugymgirl for your thoughtful message and checking up on me. I wanted to update yesterday, but my reports didn't show up in MyChart until now. The testing actually went okay, had to go back and forth between 3d mammogram and ultrasound twice as they were trying to find more about it I guess. I got to meet the Doctor (Radiologist) after a long wait and was informed that there are 2 areas of concern, one showed up only in mammogram and the other only one in ultrasound. The Doctor over at the Women's health center wanted me to go in for biopsy for the one found under mammogram and do a follow up on the other in 6 months. I was prepared for any and all news but it did made be restless, but took it as a neutral news because both the findings are small ( 6 mm and 5 mm). But, I had call from my PCP's office today morning after she reviewed my reports and was informed that my PCP wants me to see a breast surgeon because of the nature of the findings and where it is located. She feels it puts me in a high risk and also that biopsy is definitely needed. I took things okay while on call, but it does terrify me. I just read the report and actually it seems like they found another small one as well apart from the ones discussed with me. I will update everything in my report in a separate thread for better understanding. I did make a appointment for biopsy and I am a bit confused and lost.

• cugymgirl
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thanks for updating!! I have been thinking of you! I am hoping everything turns out in the clear. Please keep us posted and updated!

• L_L_L
    edited March 2022
    Options

Aww that's very kind of you cugymgirl!!! I just updated my report details in "Waiting for results" and will sure to update once I get my results back.