Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone living or recurrence free after 10 years?

Options
bong
bong Member Posts: 40
edited April 2022 in Stage III Breast Cancer

I received Neoadjuvant chemo then bx mastectomy. I just got my pathology report and am pretty devastated by the amount of residual cancer left and comparing the stats on the Rcb calculator. Anyone able to provide any hope?

Comments

• lisa72
    lisa72 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    • Yes!! There is hope. I was diagnosed stage 3b with in 2009 at age of 37. Still going strong. Happy and healthy today.
  • francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63
    Options

@lisa72 thank you for coming back and giving us hope <3

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,003
    Options

bong, due to all the technical problems with the new forum format, I think that you're receiving less of a response than you might normally get. Hopefully things get fixed on here (sooner than later) and more members will be back to posting and offering support and insight on all matters concerning us, including your question here. I happened to see this thread in the Active Topics and was curious to read replies. Hang in there!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

I'm going on 7 years. My bio reverted back to the orig. diagnosis and I haven't been able to fix it. I had 4 of 29 nodes positive - 2cm tumor and grade 1. I'll take Arimidex for another 3 years at least, but I'm very healthy. Just keep your midsection fat to a minimal amount,exercise and east as much of a plant based diet as possible. Happy

• malebreastc
    malebreastc Member Posts: 89
    Options

I was recurrence free for 17 years…from 2004 to 2021

• nevo84
    nevo84 Member Posts: 55
    Options

hello everyone

I was here instead of my mom and I should say she is doing really great after 11 years of being NED. So be hopeful

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 70
    Options

Bong - I would urge you to check out the three pinned threads at the top of this forum which have 5, 10 & 15+ year survivors with stories of hope!

Julie

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    Options

I was diagnosed Stage 3 with loads of positive nodes in 2009. No recurrence.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

Not stage III but stage IV. 10 1/2 years with no progression

• kathleen26
    kathleen26 Member Posts: 10
    Options

It's around 12 years since my original diagnosis, and it was hard for me to ever believe that I would make it this long with No Evidence of Disease. The chemo I received did pretty much nothing to the cancer, and the doctors did not seem all that surprised about that. The surgery, radiation, and especially the hormonal treatments I had after it were apparently more successful at stopping it. Now there are even more follow-up treatments available, so definitely do not lose hope.

• lucca06
    lucca06 Member Posts: 17
    Options

I'm another one doing well 11 years on from a stage 3 diagnosis. Plenty of residual cancer after neoadjuvant chemo and then 9 positive nodes rather than the expected 1 after surgery. It's tough time hearing that after chemo but there are lots of positive stories and reasons to stay hopeful. Take care.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

10 yrs for me. Had a recurrence after 3 but radiation, complete hysterectomy, and arimidex 2nd go around is kicking cancers butt. ( Mine too...though maybe because I'm 50...getting old! What a blessing!)

• charlotteme
    charlotteme Member Posts: 31
    Options

YES! I am 13 1/2 years out from the devastating diagnosis of Stage 3, Grade 3 with 4 positive nodes.

There is much hope for long term survival. Many survivors of Stage 3 Breast Cancer with positive nodes are simply living life and no longer come here to post.

I remember finding some stories of long time stage 3 survival here and clinging to those accounts for hope during the early days of treatment. I would read and re-read those survivor’s’ stories again and again for strength in the dark days.

Also remember, you are not doomed to recur just because of your diagnosis. ❤️Charlotte

• lezza13
    lezza13 Member Posts: 579
    Options

YES! I am another one doing well after 10 years. I managed 9 years on Tamoxifen. There is always hope beyond a diagnosis. I was diagnosed in 2011

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

Have you had any scares? I'm going through a slight one now and just checking with other long time stage III survivors

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    Options

Me!!! 20 years NED this month!! I've had plenty of weird symptoms over the years that resulted in expedited scans and tests, and it has always just been some weird thing, usually side effects from treatment or menopause-related.