Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Sleepless nights- natural remedy anyone?

Options
nipab
nipab Member Posts: 46

I had my 1st of 4 TC this week. Haven't slept much since then, it's day 3 today. I took one Ativan at the time of treatment, I thought that might put me to sleep, but nothing happened!

I don't want to take any medicine for it. Does anyone have any success with a natural remedy?

Comments

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    Options

A cooler room to sleep.

A warm lavender bath sometimes will help with some sleep for "natural" without taking anything.

Other then that I would suggest OTC melatonin which does work and was suggested to me and is safe to take as well. I take that and use the gummy kind which is strawberry flavored at least and not like having a pill at least. I got them at docs suggestion.

Hope you get relief soon.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

I use melatonin too. Really helpful.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    Try turning off all electronics several hours before bedtime. No TV, phones, tablets, etc. If you can, increase the amount of movement you do during the day so you're more tired at night. Also try going to bed early and reading until you feel sleepy. One thing I've been doing is playing podcasts. Even if it's dark and I'm awake, I'm still resting. But usually I fall asleep during the middle of an episode! :)
  • moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

nipab, are you getting steroids as part of your treatment meds? Those can make you pretty wired.

For years now I've been listening to the Sleep with Me Podcast. I load up 10h worth of episodes, use night time headphones. http://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com/

Other things to try are melatonin or pot.

now that i'm stage 4 I use zopiclone (rx), melatonin, pot & the Sleep with me Podcast lol ... I cover all the bases but I sleep well!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,005
    Options

Hi Nipab --

We're sorry you're experiencing this -- it's certainly frustrating when you can't get a good night's sleep!

In addition to the excellent suggestions you've received so far, this page from the main Breastcancer.org site might be helpful on Self-Help Strategies for Better Sleep.

--The Mods

• blums8
    blums8 Member Posts: 18
    Options

I have been struggling with sleep as well. The Ativan works sometimes but still usually only for 5 hours; which is better than nothing. I have seen that people suggest melatonin. How do you know which kind to buy?

I actually might try medical marijuana which is available to me here in Pa. I def. need to sleep more.

Janice

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,801
    Options

I am both a melatonin and cannabis fan. Melatonin comes in varying dosages. Start with 3 mg and see how it goes from there. I haven’t found any appreciable difference in brands. They come in pill form, chewables and gummies.

Medical marijuana is only medical in the sense that your state/county issues medical cards, i.e. the patient has a medical condition. The cannabis itself is no different than other cannabis. Medical customers may be able to buy greater quantities daily and/or products containing higher percentages of THC. Find a dispensary with knowledgeable bud tenders to help you get started. I hope you get some sleep soon.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

I use melatonin every night. 10 mg. I have also used zopiclone but would like not to have to use it. It is habit forming. If all else fails I find a few tokes of pot helps. I am not sure if the one I have been using is Indica or Sativa. All I know is by the second or third toke I am yawning. Insomnia is awful. I know folks say turn off electronics but I find a little telly helps me nod off. It must be the flickering screen. Yes - a cool room too.

• nipab
    nipab Member Posts: 46
    Options

Thank you all so much. Somehow, the weekend was much better, and I was able to sleep for 7-8 hours! Sunday night it was hard to fall asleep (even after about 5 miles of bike ride!), but once I could sleep, it was about 6 or so hours of sound sleep.

Moth, pods are a good idea, I am listening to one right now, they do sound like will put me to bed in no time!

Mods, good self-help strategies. Most of them I do anyway, but will incorporate all of them.