Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Aromasin - is the generic as effective as the brand name?

Options
bong
bong Member Posts: 40
edited June 2022 in Stage III Breast Cancer

I’ve been prescribed Exemestane after having gone through radiation. I got my prescription from cvs and noticed it is a generic. Should I be concerned that it will not be as effective as the brand name?

Thanks

Comments

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2022
    Options

I would think it's just like any other generic medication. According to the FDA they are equivalent. There's no way to know beyond that probably. I've been on exemestane since March and definitely have side effects, so something is working!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2022
    Options

My medical center, an all inclusive HMO, only prescribes generics (unless there is a legit reason for the name brand). I have been on all of the AI's. All were generic. I have been stage IV for over ten years with no progression. Generics contain the same active ingredients as the name brand though fillers may be different. Some meds like tamoxifen, are only available as generics. I wouldn't worry about it.

GB2115,

Side effects or lack of them are not indicators of whether an AI is working. Whether one experiences se’s is highly individual and does not correlate with effectiveness of the drug.