Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Eye changes since Chemo?

Options
chuckee1104
chuckee1104 Member Posts: 11

I knew I was having problems seeing in my glasses and contacts (contacts were better), but was trying to wait for a little time to pass after chemo to go to the optician. Decided that I needed to go a bit sooner. Found out that my left eye has changed dramatically (right eye is exactly the same). Level 3 astigmatism in left eye and is completely distorted. Doc said just imagine having a basketball shape change to a football shape:-0!! The change is so dramatic!! They don't even sell the daily contact lenses for this prescription, only monthly lenses.

Left a message for my oncologist to see if he has heard of this and if he thinks this would go back to normal after time. I don't want to pay for new glasses and contact lenses that I won't need, so will try some sample contact lenses when they come in.

Comments

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,060
    edited June 2022
    Options

I don't know if this helps because it was almost three years ago but I recall my MO telling me to wait about 6 months after Taxol before having a proper eye exam. So I guess that means chemo can affect your sight and might resolve over time.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited June 2022
    Options

My MO told me to NOT get new glasses or contacts until at least 6 months after chemo. I was complaining of vision changes and he said that was common during treatment.