Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Surgery Postponed - Thanks, Covid!

speccomo
speccomo Member Posts: 12

I was all squared away for outpatient surgery (bi-lateral mastectomy) this past Monday, 6/13. Had coverage scheduled at work for a month (no mean feat in live radio), got a negative PCR test the Thursday before surgery, supplies laid in, house cleaned, meals prepped in the freezer, help scheduled to pop over post-surgery.

And woke up Saturday morning with a fever, headache, and horrible sore throat. Took a home Covid test, and it was a very strong positive.

Needless to say, I had to cancel surgery. And now I have to wait for a negative PCR test before they’ll even reschedule. The next possible date is no earlier than 7/19, and considering how long the virus can show up on PCR tests, I’m not going to count on it.

More than anything, I’m just annoyed. I was absolutely ready to go, everything prepared at home, mentally set for surgery and recovery. And now it’s back to waiting. I’m just hoping I can shed the worst of the virus quickly and get back on the schedule.

Comments

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336

speccomo, that really sucks! I also had a surgery delay due to a DVT caused by my breast MRI. You will definitely be negative by 7/19, so at least there is that. I would also be frustrated by that kind of diversion in treatment plans. You think you have a good way forward and, bam, unexpected change. I feel like my whole 2022 has been a little like that. Even with small things. Long times in waiting rooms, extra sticks to find a good vein, traffic on my way to an appointment. Sometimes everything feels hard.

For me, I keep reminding myself that slow doesn’t mean stopped. And as the song says, “mama told me there’d be days like these.” Here’s to some smooth sailing coming soon.

• janewhite
    janewhite Member Posts: 49

I'm sorry! That does sound super frustrating.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 552

sarahmaude, your DVT was caused by an MRI??

• sarahmaude

gb2115, yep. The IV site for the contrast clotted. The clot spread up my arm. I had two fully occluded veins. My jugular was partially occluded. MO is confident that the DVT was provoked, so I get to stop blood thinners once my current remaining tablets run out.

I’m not an expert, but I know that IV wasn’t the best. It was also placed exactly in the crook of my arm which was then bent over the needle during the next 45 minutes. A case of me being an outlier among outliers.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 552

Oh my, what a chain of events!

• sarahmaude

gb2115, the good news in all of this that relates to the original poster is that in time all has resolved. We know that once we go down this road of becoming cancer patients the potential benefits of needle sticks, surgery, chemo, radiation outweigh the things that can happen. We don't know what may happen along the way, but there is good evidence telling us that waiting until something like a DVT, COVID or other moderate schedule complications resowon't affect our outcome. Waiting seems much worse as it is happening than it does when we've moved past that event.

Now…next time I'm a nervous wreck because I'm back in the waiting game, someone remind me of that! 😉

• speccomo

sarahmaude, it’s a deal! And you’re right - once the waiting is done, a look back won’t seem nearly as frustrating.

• speccomo

So here I am, 10 days out from a positive Covid test, and with a negative home test under my belt, went for a PCR test. Lo and behold, it came back negative! That was very unexpected. But it means I can actually get back on the schedule now. Results came in after business hours, so I’ll be in touch with the surgeon tomorrow. Fingers crossed

• sarahmaude

Hooray! So glad You’ve cleared that speed bump!

• speccomo

New surgery date is confirmed - July 25. So waiting another month, but definitely on the schedule again.

Doctor’s scheduling nurse was great. I left a message just after 5pm yesterday, and was rescheduled by 9:30 this morning.