Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Question for Triple Positves

Options
Bluegirl27
Bluegirl27 Member Posts: 28

Was your Her2 positive from IHC or upgraded to positive from FISH? I am asking because my biopsy showed Her2 negative. But, I had a SMX on 7/27 and IHC came back as equivocal so has been reflexed to FISH test. I am awaiting results. I was reading some medical journals and articles mentioning that they are currently rethinking those that are HER2 equivocal as Her2 low. Does anyone have any more information on that?

Comments

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi bluegirl27:

Both tests were done on my tumor sample. I believe IHC was done first and then FISH was used to confirm the results.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,221
    edited August 2022
    Options

Often IHC is the test done first because it is less expensive. If you have an IHC result that is equivocal (2+) then there is reflex (automatic) testing by FISH to examine further. Some hospitals and centers only use FISH because it is the more sensitive test - or may be able to choose between IHC and FISH at the physician's discretion. My Her2+ status was determined by IHC, and there was no question, it was 3+ using that testing platform. My strongly Her2+ status was further confirmed by Mammaprint because one of my biopsy samples was sent for that testing as my oncological breast surgeon was participating in a study with Agendia, so I had a gratis confirmatory test done.