Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting AC-T chemo, wigs, side effects - please help!

Options
2»

Comments

• windwalker27
    windwalker27 Member Posts: 54
    Options

Thank you, Maggie, for sharing your wisdom. I like my oncologist, I will see him tomorrow after my bone scan. These two scans will give us a good idea where we are. I know he is aggressive. I like that

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    Options

Hi!

I did AC + T, and rocked an awesome wig while teaching at my university. My wig was way more attractive than my real hair. My department chair allowed me to get out of all committee work, and assigned a teaching assistant to my classes so someone could take over if I "went down." I never did.

After Taxol, I did lose my eyelashes and eyebrows and they grew back sparsely. To this day, I still draw my eyebrows every morning, and wear eyeliner. For special occasions, I will supplement my scanty lashes with fake eyelashes. Otherwise, getting ready in the morning has become super-simple.

I got ALND, and had all 20 of my Levels 1 and 2 lymph nodes removed (long story). The good news is that I did not develop lymphadema.

Good luck!

• windwalker27
    Options

Thank you, Elainetherese, for sharing. I had a conversation with my Dean earlier today, explained my circumstances. She told me not to worry and take time for treatments. I might skip one semester

• brittonkb
    brittonkb Member Posts: 81
    Options

I did 4 doses of AC every other week followed by 12 weeks of taxol. I got a buzz cut (GI Jane-like) before my 2nd infusion and then lost it completely by the 3rd. My hair started growing back towards the end of Taxol. While I agree with many here that I didn’t love my wig, there were times it made sense for me to wear it. I got mine at my cancer clinic and insurance covered it. You might look into that.

• windwalker27
    Options

Thank you, Brittonkb. I will cut my hair short too

• cyathea
    cyathea Member Posts: 330
    Options

windwalker27, I was in the same place you are now about 3 years ago. I got a buzz cut and saved my very long hair for a possible wig, but ended up buying a wig. It is a real hair wig and I could still use it today if I needed it. (Synthetic wigs won’t last that long, but a friend who has short curly hair found that the synthetic wigs required less styling.) After going mostly bald, my hair is shoulder length today. My eyelashes came back but they are shorter and thinner than before. My eyebrows were not very full before treatment, but I have fewer now and like to draw them on with an eyebrow pencil.

Because I wanted to continue working through treatment (and did), I wore Ardell false eyelashes. The “Naked” lashes line #421 worked better for me. I had never worn them before, but I found it relatively easy IF you have a good magnifying mirror. For me, the magnetic versions, “aqua” lashes, and other more expensive options didn’t work well. I wasted a bit of money trying to find lashes that looked natural since I don’t tend to wear much makeup. I wish Ardell and the other lash companies would do a better job of helping people find the right lashes when the goal is to look normal instead of made up for glamour or fashion statements.

Preparing for and starting treatment can be a tough time. I’m glad you found the forum. ((Hugs)

• windwalker27
    Options

Thank you, Cyathea, I will research eyelashes. Thank you for the tip. I am glad to see you are doing good. I am doing a bone scan today before my appointment with the onc. Feeling anxious

• scaredme
    scaredme Member Posts: 65
    Options

Has your onc prescribed anything for you for anxiety? If not, I would ask for something. Although I have to say that you are at the absolute worst part today as you wait for your scan results. Assuming that all goes well with that, I found that everything became easier once treatment began. The unknown is so scary. Hugs to you and really hoping that things turn out ok for you today.

• windwalker27
    Options

Cyathea, I just googled the eyelashes you recommended. People have written very good reviews. Forgive me for asking, are these disposable? You wear a pair only once? Or you can reuse them? It is my understanding that you use some kind of adhesive. Is it included or you buy it separately? Sorry for so many questions. I am just excited that there is a solution for eyelashes

• windwalker27
    Options

Scaredme, you are absolutely right. I feel sometimes I am going to lose it in front of my family. And I will definitely ask my onc for Ativan or something for my debilitating fear. Thank you for your support and understanding.

• fivetimes
    fivetimes Member Posts: 51
    Options

hi windwalker

Wishing you strength to get through your chemo treatments !!

When I did chemo, my hair thinned very much but not complete loss. I bought several wigs and found I couldn’t wear them as the chemo made my scalp very very sensitive and warm. I decided to just go with scarves when I needed a break from looking at my scalp and it was Liberating!!! It was soft and comfortable and didn’t irritate my already sore scalp.

That’s just my experience and I hope it helps.

• windwalker27
    Options

Thank you, Fivetimes. I first decided to cut my hair short but now I think I might wait and see how much hair falls out and then decide to shave it or keep it. Sure if I look like Golem from the Lordsof the ring I'll shave it

• cyathea
    Options

windwalker27, I reuse my lashes. Sometimes they stay on for several days if I don’t wash my hair and get them wet. (I use a facial towel to clean my face so I’m not splashing water on the lashes.). Sometimes I dab a bit of the adhesive if only the end is coming off. When I take them off, I remove the adhesive and pour a little alcohol over the lashes and put them back in the package. I’m not sure if an ophthalmologist would approve of wearing them like I do, but I haven’t had any problems. My eye doc knows that I use false eyelashes and didn’t say that I should not do it, maybe because I probably would have done it anyway? 🙄

If the Naked Lashes #421 is not available, I have also used 420 and 424. I found that the multi-pack 420s didn’t seem to be of the same quality as the individually packaged 420, so I don’t do the multi-packs now. The 424s are nice because they are slightly longer at the outer edge. I bought the new “Light as Air” 521 (thinking it would be similar in length to the 421, but the 521s seem a lot longer and fuller, so they don’t look very natural on me.) Whatever you decide to buy, know that the lashes with invisiband were more comfortable and lighter.

You do need to buy adhesive separately with Naked Lashes. The Light As Air boxes come with Duo adhesive in a small tube, but I prefer a brush applicator. I’ve used several brands and they all work well. Currently, I’m using Ardell LashGrip infused with biotin and rosewater, but I imagine that might not be good for those with sensitive skin. However, I really like the very thin brush with that, which makes it easy to apply the adhesive. The adhesive dries clear and I find that it works best if I apply it to both the lash and my eyelid, wait a bit for it to start to cure and then put the lashes on where the lashes normally grow.

• windwalker27
    Options

Cyathea, thank you so much for your tips. I have never tried artificial eyelashes. I am sure it’s going to be a learning curve. I’ve read some reviews on Amazon. People are saying the same things that multipacks are of inferior quality and often bent and damaged. Again thank you for answering my questions. Have an awesome day

• cyathea
    Options

My pleasure! I’m glad I can help someone. I had never used them before chemo either. It was just one of many new things I learned to do to try to blend in and be as “normal” as possible so that my clients wouldn’t be uncomfortable or burdened with my diagnosis. It made me feel better, too. 🙂 I don't wear a lot of makeup, rarely do my nails, and I don't spend much time on my hair. But trying not to look as ill as I felt was important for me.

One thing that I wish I would have done and didn’t know was to ask the doctor whether I could take Biotin during chemo. I found that after 6 months of treatment my fingernails became very weak and prone to splitting. I started taking Biotin (the kind without soy was recommended to me by the PA)and it seemed to help. I don’t have a scientific study to confirm that this is what helped, but had I known that my nails would be so bad, I would have tried to help them earlier. My hair was also damaged when it started to grow back (frizzy and dry instead of smooth and mostly straight). I did some Keratin treatments to help with the frizz and I think the Biotin may have helped my hair as well. So, if your doctor approves, then at least it can’t hurt to try to help your hair and nails through the treatment.

• windwalker27
    Options

Thank you, Cyathea, you tips are awesome. I will run it by my onc. If you remember anything else, any tips I and anyone who read this forum would appreciate it.