Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Implant breast reconstruction and Multiple Sclerosis

Options

I will have a single mastectomy next month and decided I want to have a reconstruction with expander and then silicone implant but after reading a lot about recovery and risks I am not sure if this is the right choice for me. I have Multiple Sclerosis since 7 years and had my last MS relapse last year. I am scared that silicone implants could cause a relapse.

Is there anybody here who has MS and had a breast reconstruction? Did you have a MS relapse or any other problems after the surgery? It would be great if you could share your experience!

Thank you.

Comments

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2022
    Options

I am replying because a friend of mine diagnosed with MS for many years had breast cancer 26 years ago and had a mastectomy. She had decided on no reconstruction but then after I had my mastectomy and had a DIEP reconstruction she did the same. She did pretty well, surgery and recovery were pretty easy but she had some problems with nipple reconstruction. I haven't talked to her much about it but there was pain and failure in nipple reconstruction but her DIEP work looks really good.

MS flares up like it did before but no worse than before her surgery.

• peony30
    peony30 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply!

I am glad that your friend had no problems with MS after her surgery and it gives me hope that I will be fine too!