Waiting for Surgery
Hi everyone! I was just diagnosed with breast cancer two weeks ago. Everything has been moving so quickly up until now. I had my biopsy 3 days after my diagnostic mammo and ultrasound. It only took a couple of days for my results and I had my initial consultation with the breat surgeon a week ago today.
This afternoon I called the scheduler for an update on surgery dates and was told the soonest availability the surgeon has is October 24th! I'm so upset. I spoke with a nurse asking if it's really OK to wait 2 months after diagnosis for treatment. She's sending a message to the Dr about my concern.
I've been pretty zen about my diagnosis. The lump was found on a routine mammo and is about 2 cm. The cells are a grade 1 so thankfully it isn't aggressive. That being said, I'm now very anxious about the timeline. There is no sign of lymph node involvement but what if the nodes they test come back positive? How do I know it didn't spread while waiting on the surgery?
I live in the US and I am on an HMO plan with a very limited network (I've always been pretty healthy, wasn't planning on having a major health condition -not that anyone does!) There is one other surgeon and that other surgeon isn't available until the 2nd week in October.
Any words of wisdom while I wait on a call back? Thanks!