Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dx’d 8/2022

Options
swim
swim Member Posts: 4
edited September 2022 in Just Diagnosed

Hi all, I'm newly diagnosed with left breast IDC at 48 y/o. Initially, DCIS from a biopsy but after lumpectomy, final pathology showed 6 mm IDC, Grade 1. ER/PR + HER -. My surgeon requested oncotype to find out if I will benefit with chemo. I had my first appointment with my MO yesterday and found out that the pathologist discontinue the order for oncotype because the tumor is so small to run a test. My MO said that I didn’t need it and placed me on hormone therapy x 5 years. I’m happy that I didn’t need chemo but kinda worried too that they must’ve been missed something for not running oncotype. My genetic testing also came back positive for BRCA 2 ( with no known family history of BC ). I have to also do an MRI. Is it possible to find a new concern with the MRI? No radiation as well since I will be going back for a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy

Comments

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

hello sweetie I was diagnosed at 42 while making wedding plans for your 2nd marriages. Found my lump in shower. Diagnoses idc stage2 3 mo chemo before after L mast got married then 7wks rads and 5 yrs on tamoxifen. Now family history of breast cancer. For Inspiration im now 28yr Survivor Praise God..Hope Positive thinking family and espe ially my now Husband got me thru. msphil

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 257
    Options

Hi, swim,

I am sorry to see your dx. Getting a diagnosis is a rollercoaster of emotions. I hope you get the answers to all of your questions.

I had the Oncotype done. Based on my low score, I did not do chemo, and maybe someone out here can give you answers on the size of your tumor versus getting an Oncotype.

The MRI is a great tool. My MRI after cancer dx showed additional areas correlated to my cancer dx. The MRI findings correctly correlated a larger cancer span than the ultrasound or mammogram picked up. However, it can detect benign areas of concern. I had an MRI this year on the other breast that led to a biopsy (benign results). The MRI can lead to more waiting for results which is the hardest part. Be prepared to have areas of concern that may show on the MRI. It does not mean it is more cancer, though.

Sending hugs your way.

• swim
    Options

Hi msphil! 28 yrs cancer free! Praise God! Thank you for the inspiration.
    sending warm wishes to you and your family!

• swim
    Options

Hi wondering44. Thank you for the MRI info. I’m getting mine in a week from today. Hoping for good results. But you are correct, waiting for results is the hardest part.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Swim - Sorry to hear you got the "upgrade" to IDC upon final pathology, same thing happened to me. My understanding is that 5mm is the cut off to have enough material to do the Oncotype DX test so it might be worth having another conversation about it.

Glad to hear they are watching you closely with the BRCA 2 component. I would assume the imaging will also look at ovaries, etc. And certainly as wondering as said, the MRI can find things that are benign that require investigation. I hope it is all clear and an easy experience for you.