Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More info on lymph node testing recovery

Options
olympicmtgirl
olympicmtgirl Member Posts: 29
edited December 2022 in Just Diagnosed

I had a breast cancer journey exactly a year ago and navigated it thanks to help from this forum.

The 50 yo cook at at the soup kitchen where I volunteer is sadly on the same journey. Friday she is having her breast biopsy and lymph node biopsy at the radiologists. She has asked about the recovery from lymph node biopsy (which I did not have) and I would appreciate feedback from other patients I can share with her?

She does very heavy lifting all day. I know from by lymph node removal with my DMX it is critical not to lift after removal but I don't know the risks after biopsy.

Thank you.

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

My lymph node biopsy was a needle biopsy and no big deal at all. A tiny prick and that was it. So it depends on the type of biopsy, where the node is located, and her personal anatomy. Some people have discomfort after a biopsy and some of us have absolutely none. I wish her well.

• olympicmtgirl
    olympicmtgirl Member Posts: 29
    Options

Thank you. I know about lymphedema and cording after lymph node removal and I wondered it those were a risk with biopsy too.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

I believe that any disruption of the lymph system has the potential for causing lymphedema. However I also believe that the possibility is somewhat remote with biopsy, and most doctors would probably exclaim "impossible!!" At this point, my greatest concern would be getting the proper diagnosis and lymphedema would not be on the radar. Good luck to your friend.