Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

vibration platform for bone health

Options
peggy_j
peggy_j Member Posts: 89
edited January 2023 in Bone Health and Bone Loss

Hi there! Has anyone tried or researched using a vibration platform for improving/stabilizing your bone density? This was recommended by an orthopedic surgeon, and honestly, it sounded crazy. But I researched on PubMed and found this meta-analysis which showed promising results, especially with "side alternating" vibration.

Systematic review and meta-analyses on the effects of whole-body vibration on bone health - PubMed (nih.gov)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35093509/

The paper also compares "vertical" vibration vs. "side alternating" vibration. When I searched products, most are oscillating, which I eventually figured out is the same as "side alternating." (The platform I ordered even had a video showing that it pivots from side to side). I emailed my very intelligent and rational physical therapist and she said she loves her machine. I'll discuss it at my next appointment. Anyway...I'm curious to hear what others think or have found out. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 366
    Options

So funny you asked about this! A vibration machine was my big Christmas present this year :) At any rate my next door neighbor is a physical therapist and she suggested it for bone health. The particular machine she suggested is expensive but apparently there were studies on it that she found convincing. But I love it. Absolutely adore it. All I do is stand there for 10 minutes so relaxed I almost fall, plug in the pre-programmed workout and let it do it's thing. I won't have another dexa scan for two years so I'll have no idea whether it's working or not until then but I don't really care because it makes me feel wonderful. You can also do exercises on it if you want but my neighbor said for at least 10 minutes a day you just stand on it and be still. The rest of the time is when you can do what you want.

• peggy_j
    Options

HI Kaynotrealname, great! Thanks for the info. Are you comfortable sharing the brand/model she recommended? (and/or if she mentioned which studies). The only brand I could find that labeled itself as "side alternating" was Galileo. I couldn't find the price one anywhere....which seems like the sign that it's really $$$. lol. But the one I ordered has a video showing it does pivot.

AmazonSmile : Lifepro Waver Mini Vibration Plate - Whole Body Vibration Platform Exercise Machine - Home & Travel Workout Equipment for Weight Loss, Toning & Wellness - Max User Weight 260lbs (White) : Sports & Outdoors

https://www.amazon.com/Lifepro-whole-body-vibration-machin...

FWIW, that meta-analysis listed/compared studies where some people stood, some people did squats, etc. I haven't read it in enough detail to know if that made a difference. Maybe your neighbor has read through it all. (or similar studies). Thanks again.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 366
    Options

I don't know what studies she read but the one she suggested was the LifePro Rumblex Plus 4D Vibration Plate. I don't know as I will ever ask for anything that expensive again but it does feel great so I'm not sorry :)

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,589
    Options

This is so interesting. I'm part of several intermittent fasting groups and the woman who wrote several books including "Fast, Feast, Repeat" and "Delay, Don't Deny" uses one and loves hers. I've thought about it, but have read that it might be contra-indicated with metastatic cancer. I'm Stage IV with mets to my bones. I used one a long time ago at a fitness place. I only stood on it for a few minutes, but I liked it. I felt "lighter" when I got off. I hear (or I think I heard) that they use them with astronauts when they return to Earth. Anyone else heard that?

• peggy_j
    Options

@kay — thanks for sharing that model. Well, at least I bought the same brand! I looked at your model and it looks fancy and..$$. I’ll probably stick with my basic model but if your friend happens to say why she recommended that higher end model over the basic, I'd be interested. I think I have 30 days to return mine

@sunshine—yes, I heard that too, that they first began using this on astronauts. Thanks for mentioning the contraindications too. I looked them up and it's good to keep in mind.

So my device arrived today and I unpacked it after dinner. I got the lifepro waver mini but it's big enough (and heavy enough lol) for me. It feels like a serious piece of equipment so I decided to wait until I'm fully rested to try it.

Thanks for your help. If anyone else has tried this or considered it, I'd love to hear more

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,589
    Options

peggy, I can't wait to hear how you like it. I did see a "travel" version of the plate. Is that the model you bought?

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

I bought one a few months ago, after reading that they are good for moving lymphedema fluid. I'm not sure if it actually does any good for the LE but I do like the way I feel after "vibrating" for a few minutes. My daughter stands on her feet all day so I ordered one sent to her, too. Bone health sounds like a great bonus.

• peggy_j
    Options

@sunshine, yes, I think my "waver mini" is billed as the travel one but it still weighs a ton. I can't imagine taking it with me. But maybe if someone is taking a road trip....

@lw422, when I mentioned this to my integrative medicine doctor (before ordering) the first thing she said is that it's supposed to be good for the lymph system.