Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Well HERE's a freaky story...

Options
sugarplum
sugarplum Member Posts: 70
edited January 2023 in Stage III Breast Cancer

Last July our new puppy gifted me with a flea bite on my right hand (my right arm being devoid of 20 lymph nodes, mind you) which within days turned into cellulitis. A couple of days later, my fake right hip started hurting. Since artificial joints are magnets for infection, I of course immediately assumed the worst. 10 days on Doxycycline cleared me of all symptoms, but within a week the hip pain/stiffness returned and I spent the next 3 weeks trying to convince my medical community that it needed to be checked out. When I finally wangled a hip aspiration, the fluid revealed - you guessed it - staph. This necessitated immediate hip revision surgery followed by 6 weeks of oral and IV antibiotics, to be followed by another oral antibiotic FOR LIFE. I breezed through the surgery but the antibiotics ravaged my digestive system. My poor husband had to administer my IV on a brutal schedule of 6 am, 2 pm and 10 pm daily (we tried to think of it as a bonding experience, but were not quite convinced!)

Now I'm gulping 6 Keflex antibiotic pills a day - totaling 3000 mg - in addition to my 4 pills for heart failure from chemo, and my Arimidex to suppress estrogen. It just goes to show that life can take a turn at any moment - who'd have thought that 16 years after a IIIC diagnosis it would be a little flea that would take me down again???

You just can't make this stuff up...Julie

Comments

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 428
    Options

Thats nuts, Julie. Stop the world, I wanto get off. You want to come with me.?

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

Wow, Julie... what a story! Thank goodness the medical team listened to you and checked things out. Best wishes for an easy and fast recovery.

• newnorm
    newnorm Member Posts: 53
    Options

Oh Julie, how stressful for you (and your husband). You’re right, you couldn’t make that up if you tried! Take care of yourself.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    Options

hi Julie

Sorry to hear all of this but very happy that it wasn’t the beast revisiting you!

Healing hugs!

• cyathea
    cyathea Member Posts: 330
    Options

sugarplum, that is a shocking story! You’re being put through the wringer from a flea! Wishing you strength to handle this difficult recovery! ((Hugs)