Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Newly diagnosed - waiting for MRI and appt w/ surgeon

Options
momof4withcancer
momof4withcancer Member Posts: 4
edited January 2023 in Just Diagnosed

Hi all, I'm a 33 year old mom of 4 who was just diagnosed with IDC. I had a mammogram for a lump I found back in December and they also found several groups of pleomorphic micro-calcifications. I was sent for biopsies, one for the lump and one for the calcifications and both came back as cancer. The information has been a bit overwhelming, and I'm anxiously awaiting my appointment with the surgeon on Thursday.

The micro-calcifications are grade 2, comedonecrosis present, ER+ 80% heterogeneous, PR+ 15%, HER2-, ki-67 30%. And mucinous. And so many other things I have no idea what any of it means.

The tumor is .7cm, IDC with background of DCIS, grade 2, comedonecrosis present, PR+ 95%, other hormone receptors still pending. And again, many other terms I don't know the meaning of.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight while I'm sitting around waiting, I would be so so grateful. Thanks.

Update: the MRI showed a lot more cancer than any of us realized. Good news is my lymph nodes look ok so far. Bad news is, I’m stage 2 and will need chemo, mastectomy, and then radiation. Going to get a biopsy next week on something they found in the other side, then a PET scan, then I go see the oncologist and get the ball rolling on treatment.

Comments

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    Options

When i was first diagnosed a couple of years ago, my mom, who was an oncology nurse for years, recommended I look through the NCCN guidelines for IDC since they are the guidelines most oncologists use when diagnosing and treating. This guide is written with laymen in mind and should help answer a lot of your questions.

https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/content/PDF/breast-invasive-patient.pdf

The good news is that it looks like they caught it early, and the earlier it can be caught and eliminated the better the outcomes. The early days are the absolute worst. It gets better once you have a treatment plan in place and have a better idea of what is coming.

Hang in there. Take it one day at a time — and if that is too much take it in smaller chunks as needed. This website was a lifeline for me as i was getting diagnosed and treated. It’s changed a lot since then, but if you can’t find a tribe here, check through your treatment center or through Facebook. There are many, many women who have been treated for BC and they can be a great support group.

• wea09
    wea09 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I’m also 33 and a mom of 2. I had a biopsy on pleomorphic calcifications and am also anxiously waiting for Thursday to receive my results. Feel free to reach out if you need someone to talk. Even though I don’t have any experience to help you, I am always happy to be a listening ear.

• momof4withcancer
    Options

melbo - thank you so so much! Definitely glad it was found early, I’m just impatient and have this need to understand everything and I understand so very little right now, haha. And thank you so much for the link, I’ll definitely be checking that out!

Wea09 I’m so sorry for what you’re going through! It’s weird because everybody makes comments like “you’re young you’ll be fine”, but I’ve seen so many stories from so many young women… and now I’m one of them. It’s like being young doesn’t matter anymore. Hopefully you’ll hear back soon, I got my results in under 3 business days. They waiting around really is the worst part. And I so hope your results come back all clear!! Please keep me posted. Sending you love.

• stephs1479
    stephs1479 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I don't have any insight, just here to say that I'm in a similar position as you. I'm 31 and have two kids (2.5 years and 6 months) and still can't believe that the tiny lump that I felt in the shower ended up being cancer and not just a clogged milk duct like I had hoped. Got the call last week when my biopsy results came back and am still waiting for my MRI to be scheduled so we can see if there is any more hiding in there. Mammogram didn't see the lump that I found so I am glad that I was able to feel it but it also terrifies me that there could be more in there that only a MRI will see. Mine is IDC w/ DCIS, high nuclear grade (grade 2) with comedonecrosis, 0.4mm, and ER+ (95%), PR+ (4%), and HER2- (+1). The waiting right now is horrible and like you, I just want all of the answers right now. Guess all that we can do is hug our babies tight in the meantime.

• momof4withcancer
    Options

stephs1479 I’m so sorry for what you’re going through! I have dense breasts too and am anxious to get the MRI done to see what else might be in there. It’s all so surreal.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

Hello sweetie we here know what you re going thru. We were planning our 2nd marriages when I found lump in shower. At 42 is couldn't believe the diagnosis working in O R and Clinic in Peds at time I just knew. But fir Inspiration I return to encourage others going thru now. I am this yr a 29 ur Survivor Praise God. 3mo chemo before and after L mast then got married to My wonderful husband then roads for 7wks and 5 yrs on Tamoxifen. Yes we can have Hope Positive thoughts. It is also Our 29 wedding Anniversary this yr. With treatment plan in place at does come together. msphil