Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lost my job...am I being selfish?

Options
2sdbc
2sdbc Member Posts: 10

I started a new job and then was diagnosed with stage1 breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy and oncoplastic reduction, and weeks of radiation still to do. My employer let me go a week after the reduction because I wasn't sure when I could return to full capacity. It's a small company.

I guess I'm looking for insight and validation. I'm fortunate our family will be ok without my income for a bit but my bosses comments made me feel guilty for taking time for myself.

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

I think you need to see if you crappy boss broke the law by letting you go. Check what your state's labor laws are for circumstances like yours. Why on earth would you feel guilty? Your boss was a prick.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

I agree with alicebastable. It's possible that was illegal. Here's a link to the Family and Medical Leave Act info. Good luck, and stop feeling guilty for needing time off.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,907
    Options

Hi 2sdbc,

We're so very sorry for what you're going through. We agree, you may have some legal standing to take action. Here's some more info on Recognizing and Responding to Cancer Discrimination at Work.

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

• 2sdbc
    2sdbc Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thanks. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm trying to channel the energy I have into healing but I will put aside the guilt best I can.

• concernedaboutresults
    Options

Hi 2sdbc. I hope you are doing okay after this situation. I received a call for a job interview on the day of my biopsy and interviewed for the position before I received my results. This was when I was still pretty sure it was going to be nothing like my sister and other friends. I received the job offer before knowing what treatment would be. I thought I could start maybe after recovery from lumpectomy. But later, I couldn't figure out how to fit radiation into the schedule with a new job. In the end, I declined the offer in order to prioritize my health care. I felt guilty in that I delayed my start date twice and then withdrew from the offer. I let go of that pretty quickly because I'm just trying to take care of myself. My opinion is that if people don't understand the impact of a cancer diagnosis either don't know what is involved or likely struggle with empathy and compassion. I think these are difficult decisions, and everyone has to make them based on their own circumstances. My family was okay because we have been doing without my income since the start of the pandemic while I was in grad school. In my case they said they would be glad to have me in the future after I get through treatment, if they have any open positions. I am grateful that the door remains open, even though I am unlikely to walk through it. But, alas, I am not a fortune teller. ;-)