Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Partial breast vs. whole breast radiation for left breast

Options

Hi There,

I'm wondering if anyone has direct or indirect experience with partial breast radiation vs whole breast radiation for the left breast in terms of short and long term side effects. I'm a candidate for partial but I'd like to do whatever is least invasive especially for my heart and lungs.

I'm also curious if anyone has an opinion about the radiation oncology team and equipment at UCSF vs CPMC. My radiation oncologist at CPMC offered both as options but seems to favor whole breast. I got a 2nd opinion at UCSF and she seems to favor partial breast in my case. I'm wondering if it's because the team at UCSF is more experienced and the equipment there is more cutting edge. I'm trying to gather as much data so I feel confident in my decision.

Thank you!

Comments

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi

I had radiation at UC Davis in Sacramento. I think it was whole breast left side. I was really impressed with the RO because he spent much effort to make sure my lungs and heart weren’t getting hit. That was my concern. I was in a prone position as that was the most favorable to avoid lungs and heart. I feel confident getting treatment at the UC’s because they are research hospitals. I don’t know much about CPMC

• citybythebay
    citybythebay Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks very much for your feedback!

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2023
    Options

I have no opinions about the specific team, but I originally thought I would get partial left because the biopsy of the suspect lymph node was negative, but I ended up with whole left because the surgery revealedthat the lymph node reacted to chemo like there had been cancer there. They made sure to measure everything carefully and were careful about the position of my diaphragm before they zapped me, to help protect my heart and lungs.

• citybythebay
    edited April 2023
    Options

oh wow @melbo - didn't know they had that type of test (negative node reaction to chemo)! I had anOncotype test that determined whether or not chemo would be effective. Were you prone or supine for your radiation?

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2023
    Options

I’m not sure it was a test per se — more like they could tell that it reacted to chemo and it wouldn’t have reacted like that unless there had been cancer in it.

I was on my back for all my radiation.

• citybythebay
    edited April 2023
    Options

Ah ok, thanks.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited April 2023
    Options

city, I had all my treatment at CPMC. My radiation oncologist was Mark Rounsaville (he was head of dept) and he was great. I was offered partial radiation but decided not to do it bacause i was triple positive. I did, however, have the 3 week radiation protocol and it was easy-peasy. No burns, blisters. Love the CPMC campus.

• citybythebay
    edited April 2023
    Options

Cowgirl, partial was very new at that time, amazing they offered it to you. Great that your treatment went well! Were you prone or supine for your treatment? I’ve been reading that prone may be better for heart & lung exposure but not everyone can do prone. Sounds like you didn’t have any late side effects which is great. Thanks for your feedback!