Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What can I expect post-lumpectomy?

Options
janehicks
janehicks Member Posts: 48

Hello,

My lumpectomy is finally happening next week and I'm not sure what to expect as far as the healing/post surgery journey. (So far diagnosis is Grade 1a, 8mm tumor)

I was thinking of planning a trip (flying overseas) after my two week check up. Is this unreasonable? How soon after the lumpectomy do they typically want to start radiation?

Also, my lumpectomy surgery is 6 weeks from my initial diagnosis. Should I be alarmed by this? (Keep reading about cancer cells shedding and hiding so I'm plenty anxious!)

I'm basing these question on my initial test results which suggest lumpectomy/radiation/hormone blockers - but no all this can change after my lumpectomy biopsy.

Thank you kindly in advance!

Comments

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

Hello,

I did a plane trip about a week (maybe less) from my lumpectomy, for the wedding of a dear friend. On the one hand, it was totally doable, even traveling alone. On the other hand, I did not really have energy for anything but the wedding - no extra sightseeing for me - and even the wedding I was not dancing as much as I usually would. I didn't have any pain or anything, I think my body was just still tired and recovering.

So basically, if the trip is important for you and the timing is constrained, I think you can totally do it. On the other hand, I would avoid planning my dream trip then because I don't think I'd be able to make the most of it.

My surgery was also about six weeks from diagnosis - I don't think there is anything alarming about this. It's very normal.

My surgery was in early October and my radiation started at the very end of December or early January. They have to wait for your breast to heal and get everything set up.

• janehicks
    Options

salamandra, thanks! This helps so much. I'm was wondering how energy levels are post surgery.

If you don't mind my asking, was it a long haul flight? The one I have planned is 10 hours which might be pushing it!

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

No, it was a short (maybe 3.5 hours) direct flight.

I think I'd have to have been very motivated to get on such a long flight. On the other hand, I guess it might be fine as long as you have rides in both directions and not too much luggage to deal with.

Can you check in with your surgeon? They might have heard from many of their patients before you and be able to give advice.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 275
    Options

I would check with your doctor regarding any weight limitations on handling your luggage. I typically travel with carryon only regardless of destination and I would not have been able to get my carryon in the overhead bin without assistance and might have had difficulty lifting my luggage off the carousel if I did check a bag.

• janehicks
    Options

Thanks to you both. Yes, that is a good idea to check with my surgeon. Also, never considered luggage issues! May have to rethink this.