Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diagnosed with DCIS after first mammogram. 32 yrs old.

Options
2»

Comments

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 278
    Options

needs.a.nap - I’m curious why you felt mastectomy was your only option with early stage IDC? Mastectomy is a major and traumatic surgery (as you know). Why was a lumpectomy with radiation ruled out?

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 178
    Options

Hello @harley07. I had two tumors in opposite quadrants, and from the mammogram taken just after my biopsy, my surgeon was seeing more calcifications that were not visible on previous mammograms, those calcifications did turn out to be more DCIS. He was concerned about having to remove too much tissue to get everything and that my risk for recurrence would be high so his only recommendation was a mastectomy.

• baileyjumper
    baileyjumper Member Posts: 17
    Options

I just had my second lumpectomy Friday. Margins are not clear. So more surgery…… I feel like my surgeon is encouraging mastectomy because I’ve been diagnosed with DCIS twice now at such a young age and because of my mutation. I’m still trying to hold off and hope I can get clear margins with another surgery.

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 178
    Options

Hi @baileyjumper. Thank you for updating us. I hope they get clear margins and you can be “cancer-free” from here on out!!