Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Adriamycin and Cytoxan peeps?

Options

can anyone share how your chemo experience was or is on Adriamycin and Cytoxan?

I start May 17th.

Thank you!

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Hi justagal. Sorry no one has answered you yet. I think the whole forum redesign has left a lot of people on the sidelines.

I did have AC, without any T, in 2019. I had 4 infusions 2 weeks apart, so it went quickly. What would you like to know? People can have a wide range of reaction/side effects to it, so it's good to be mentally prepped for it, but know that you might well have pretty minor reactions, as I did.

You will be given drugs for nausea, probably at least 2 of them. If you think you might have an edge of stomach upset, it's good to go ahead and start taking something (per instructions) right away, rather than waiting to decide if you actually feel sick. You might have a couple of uncomfortable days; you might be super tired. You might be amped up because of some steroids used to reduce reactivity.

I didn't have much nausea or trouble other than diminished energy until my 3rd round. Then I did have some nausea (but never vomited) partly because I waited too long to take something. After my last round of chemo I had significant fatigue, which was worst if I was outside in the heat (late July by that time, for me). That lasted a couple of weeks and began to improve after that.

Drink plenty of water. If water tastes disgusting as it did for me and does for many people, try using diluted Crystal Lite type of flavoring. Try to get some exercise every day, even if it's just walking out to the mail box and back, or walking up and down a flight of stairs. Just don't be immobile; try to do something if possible, and do more if you can.

Maybe with this answer bumping your post back to the top, you'll get more information from someone else. Good luck on your first treatment. Let us know how it goes.

• margecandoit
    margecandoit Member Posts: 135
    Options

justagalwholoveslife- I had A/C and then 12 taxol. A/C was a little ruff. I would get my treatment and I was so tied for 4 days. I would have a metal taste in my mouth so could only drink water from a glass. I was a little nausea kinda like when I was pregnant but they gave me anti nausea med that I took like clock work for 5 days and I did ok. Taxol wasn’t as bad just a little tried and stiffness in my joints and roaming pain.

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    Options

Justagal, You might find it helpful to look through some of the threads searching for "starting chemo" to get a cross section of what others have experienced.

I know one thing we fear is nausea. The pre-medication should help, but don't feel shy about speaking up if you feel queasy. I don't recall if it was the AC or the Taxol I took, but the nurse slowed the speed of the infusion and it made a big difference when I would feel yucky at the beginning of infusion. I also was prescribed Zofran for at home and I never vomited once during chemo.

I had a tough go with AC, but some people are able to work throughout treatment with minimal issues so prepare for the worst and expect the best. Have lots of easy meals on hand, but know that what tastes good may change temporarily from the drugs. I'm fiercely independent, but wish that I'd been more willing to accept help so let people pamper you!