Anyone have nerve damage to leg during surgery?
I’m wondering if anyone has had similar issues following surgery
- July 2022: had a heart attack and stent placed. Began 1 year treatment with Plavix to prevent clotting of cardiac stent.
- September 2022: diagnosed with DCIS. Surgery delayed due to recent heart attack and Plavix. Began treatment with Anastrozole.
- July 2023 Monday: Lumpectomy and bilateral reduction under general anesthesia. When I woke up, I could not lift my right leg off the bed. Sensations were all normal. My PS said most likely related to positioning during surgery. I was admitted.
- Tuesday: Very slight improvement. Neurologist consulted. Head CT, head MRI, lumbar spine MRI ordered. CT scan conducted, ruled out stroke. MRI was backed up. Physical therapy saw me, gave me a walker. At this point I could walk with tiny baby steps. Lifting leg off ground was extremely difficult.
- Wednesday: continued little by little improvement. Waited for MRI all day.
- Thursday: 1 A.M. MRI. Waited all day for results, but none were given. PT came to work with me again which was super helpful.
- Friday: PS surgery resident comes in early and says MRIs we’re clear. There’s no explanation for the leg weakness. Prescription for physical therapy. (They tried to get someone to come to our house, ut we live in a ti y rural town and agencies that did come here are not covered by my insurance .) Finally released mid day.
- Saturday (today): continued small improvements each day, but seems like a long way from my baseline. Since my heart attack I have made significant lifestyle changes to improve my health. A week ago I was climbing the hilly roads and hiking in the nearby state forest. This feels like a huge setback.
I will schedule PT with one of the in network providers outpatient and follow up with primary care on Monday. Putting aside my frustration about the delays and poor communication between my care team members and to me, not to mention what an emotional rollercoaster this last year has been, I am left with lots of questions and concerns.
Has anyone had a similar experience after surgery?