Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Question about Fatigue and Radiation

Options

Has anyone had any side effects such as fatique and tenderness in the rib and area that is being treated? I'm exhausted and everytime I bring it up I get told its too early to have any side effects. But I literally feel like a truck ran me over backed up and did it again. Even before treatement began I felt exhausted (the time frame after surgery to treatement). I'm only on day 5 of 19 for radiation, then I will start ovarian supression shots on the 23rd of this month and the hormone blocker.

Tagged:

Comments

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

Did you have surgery already? Surgery can really knock it out of you. Bodies don't like being cut up, and the anesthesia hits some people harder than others.

• aimeefox96
    aimeefox96 Member Posts: 11
    Options

I had my surgery on June 23rd met with Oncologist and had a second opinion in September and just started radiation a week ago. I just think my body is exhausted from it all

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,998
    Options

Hi @aimeefox96,

We're so sorry you're experiencing such debilitating fatigue. It certainly can be a side effect of radiation — but also a side effect of breast cancer and the diagnosis itself. You've been through a lot and it's not easy. Be kind to yourself and know you're not alone!

For more information on ways to manage cancer fatigue: https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment-side-effects/fatigue

We hope this helps and that you find relief soon!

—The Mods

• salamandra
    Options

I think that's totally plausible.

The beginning of my diagnosis and treatment was SO stressful mentally and emotionally - that all by itself is exhausting.

Are you able to take some time off work and just rest and pamper yourself?

Medically I probably would technically have been able to work through radiation, but I don't think I could have handled it. Having that time off to only focus on treatment and nothing else made a huge difference on every level.

• aimeefox96
    Options

I’ve used up most of my time off so taking time off isn’t possible unless I take it without pay

• salamandra
    Options

Yeah, I did have to take it without pay (FMLA). I would still say it was worth it for me, but I live by myself and don't have a family, and everyone's situation is different.

• newfmama
    newfmama Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi @aimeefox96 , I can totally relate to what you are experiencing. I had surgery Aug. 1st for BC recurrence in chest wall and lymph nodes. I just completed 7 of 25 rads and have been exhausted and sore. Nurse/Dr told me the same thing. That scares me if I’m tired now, what’s it going to be like later? I think much of it is due to the stress of having cancer, the hard base of the rad machine and having to go to the cancer center daily (traffic, etc.).

I hope you can pace yourself and find ways to rest in between your life commitments. Try to sleep when you can and know that I will be thinking of you.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

My RO flat out told me I’d be fatigued the first time around. He was right. It was all I could do to drag myself out of the house to go. I think it’s the whole year from hell. The dx. The tests. Chemo. Surgery. Throw in major holidays, life in general, and you are TIRED. Once you’re done with all of it, it does get better. For now, nap when you can, and don’t feel guilty. The dust bunnies can wait.

• aimeefox96
    Options

Thankfully my kids understand mom is tired and I'm trying to do things with them as this is our favorite time of year. Thankfully I found an amazing man three months before diagnosis who has been by my side every step of the way, he has been the housekeeper and my brain isn't used to having someone there to support and help me but thankfully he is there. He works 16 hour days and still manages to help where I need it. He's even ready and willing to help with teaching my 16 year old to drive. I just am not one who likes to ask for help or get help as I've never had it. The napping after treatement is great, my kiddo will cook dinner or we have a fend for yourself night. So glad I decided to do treatment towards the end of the day that way I'm only taking 2 hours off work each day.