Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diagnosed 3.5 weeks ago

Options

I thought I had previously posted here but if so I can't find it.

I've had a crash course on breast cancer. I have ER+PR+ HER2- . Tomorrow morning I am having surgery. A lumpectomy and some type of node removal and testing then either more nodes or not depending on test.

I wish I had thought to come here earlier to ask.. About the radioactive tracer and where and how it is given.. About the wires used to help surgeon trace to where the tumor is and how that is.. About the recovery timeline..I've been told 2 days and 2-3 weeks so hmm.

I will be back with questions after surgery, concerning radiation.. And hormone therapy..

Thanks so much..

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 888
    Options

Hi @calmspirit , I hope your lumpectomy went well. The blue dye from the radioactive tracer takes a while to leave your system (close to a month for me) but it does eventually disappear. The recovery timeline varies a bit depending on the location and size of incisions. Hopefully yours will be on the quicker side. If you have further questions there is good information here.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,999
    Options

Hello again, @calmspirit! You're in our thoughts. How did the surgery go? If you're comfortable, we'd love to hear how everything goes. Feel free to share an update when you can, ask questions, or just vent. Sending positive vibes your way for a smooth and successful procedure.

Best,

The Mods

• calmspirit
    calmspirit Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks all. Surgery went well though it was rough after. I literally had no pain. But it took me a bit to process the anesthesia. They sent me home 3 hours after surgery. My 02 levels were 50-70s. I ended up in ER having tests to make sure it was just the anesthesia. They put me on oxygen and I used it for 2 days. the ER doctor was shocked they sent me out like that.

It is now 3 weeks post op. incisions are mostly healed.and I am pretty much back to normal.

What I learnt was I needn't have worried about the wire as I did the radioactive injection then drove to the surgery place and wires were put in after I was asleep. ( injection was 2 shots, each a little two second sting)

The margins were clear and only 1 out of 4 nodes showed micro cells. Thankfully my oncotype came in quite low so I'm thinking no chemo but haven't got the "official" word yet. They told me I will need radiation as soon as my breast is healed enough. I see my radiation oncologist next Tuesday. Tomorrow I see my medical oncologist and he will tell me about the chemo and drugs.

I had a chest CT Saturday and they discovered a nodule in my lower left lung lobe. I am holding onto hope that it is just a normal thing. Guess I will hear tomorrow.

Thanks for asking and best to all

CS

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,999
    Options

We're so glad to hear things went well with your surgery, @calmspirit! But goodness, what a scary experience after, thankful you're ok. Keep us posted as you learn more from your rads and medical oncologists.

The Mods

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 888
    Options

Hi @calmspirit , I'm glad the anesthesia reaction cleared up. It does happen but usually it is caught before you are discharged. Lung nodules are benign about 95% of the time (caused by inflammation or left from an old infection.) If yours looks at all concerning they might follow up with another CT in 3 to 6 months to check on it. I have a CT every 6 months to observe nodules in my lungs. The doctor is pretty sure they are inflammatory but since they vary a bit he follows the surveillance protocol.

It's good your oncotype is low. Mine was intermediate but still no benefit from chemo so I didn't have it. I also had one positive node so they added axillary radiation to the whole breast radiation that was originally planned. I hope the rest of your treatment will goes well.