Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Doctor says to wait several months after getting COVID before gettinng mammogram

Options

My thyroid doctor told me that there is lots of evidence that getting a case of covid can frequently cause lymph nodes to swell and therefore recommended waiting several months before getting any sort of ultrasound or mammogram to avoid false alarms. I had covid a few weeks ago and have my mammogram scheduled for next week. Should I postphone it? I searched around and there's a lot of discussion about covid vaccines and their effect on lymph nodes but I'm not seeing much about Covid itself. Thoughts? I'm a bit worried about delaying my mammogram. Since my case of DCIS in 2020, I get a mammogram just once a year.

Comments

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 38
    Options

I'd still get it, but that's me… I'd rather have a false positive, and have it investigated, than have a missed cancerous tumour. Mammograms look for more than lymph node swelling.

I'd been having an annual mammogram and ultrasound since 2020, and this year I had a breast cancer tumour develop between mammograms. Just a few months after my last one, and I put off getting another mammogram for awhile. Now I have stage III IDC.

And who is to say that you wouldn't get covid again in 11 months? I wouldn't delay it. My opinion only.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 891
    Options

If there is an enlarged lymph node they can order a diagnostic mammogram for a couple of months later. I'm with doodler in being safe rather than sorry. The general advice given is for people with no history of breast cancer.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 202
    Options

I had a mammogram soon after getting my Covid vaccine. I had swollen lymph nodes and they sent me to get an ultrasound. By that time the swelling had gone down. So the vaccine caused it.

• pandorax
    pandorax Member Posts: 20
    Options

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, it feels too risky to delay it.