Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Soy Compounds May Reduce Breast Cancer Recurrence Risk

Options

Soy Compounds May Reduce Breast Cancer Recurrence Risk

Feb 1, 2024

Natural compounds found in soy might reduce the risk of breast cancer recurrence. Read more…

Tagged:

Comments

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

And here I've been avoiding soy because I was ER+. Ugh.

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    edited February 26
    Options

@homemom same here. Sigh. On the other hand, I drank soymilk for a few years before BC, and have wondered if that was to blame for the diagnosis. Apparently not, as I obviously ended up with BC anyway. On the other hand, maybe the soymilk prevented it from becoming worse?

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

Exactly. I was drinking some soy milk in my cereal instead of even skim milk before I was diagnosed. I also went on an "organized diet" after treatment from Optavia where a lot of the meal bars and shakes had soy in them. I limited it to 3-4 months to lose the weight I wanted. From the article (THIS is me!)

But when the researchers accounted for the menopausal status of the women and the hormone receptor status of the breast cancer, the link was statistically significant only for post-menopausal women and estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. So for post-menopausal women and women diagnosed with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer, lower breast cancer recurrence risk was likely because of eating soy isoflavones and not just due to chance.