Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Advice on AESTHETIC FLAT CLOSURE

Options

Hi there! Heading in for a double MX with AFC in 2 weeks. I have the option of going somewhere else with a plastic surgeon there or staying at my hospital and just having my breast surgeon close. She is confident she can do a smooth closure with minimal incision size. I am on the smaller side. Just wondering if anyone out there did NOT have a plastic surgeon involved and if you have any advice. Many thanks!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,010
    Options

Hi @newyorkjc2024,

Welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. You're sure to find great support here!

You might want to check out this thread:

In addition, our site has some good information:

We hope this helps and that you get some more answers soon!

—The Mods

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 891
    Options

Here is a link to the Flat Friendly Surgeons Directory which includes breast surgeons, surgical oncologists and plastic surgeons who have been recommended by others.

https://notputtingonashirt.org/directory/

I did not have an AFC (lumpectomy of a sizeable tumor) but my breast surgeon is in the directory and has specialized training in oncoplastic techniques. She did an awesome job. There is probably someone near you listed here.

You might ask your breast surgeon about the amount of experience she has with AFC and for photos of results so you can make a judgement. Someone without experience might do a good job but you are the one who has to live with the results. I hope your surgery goes well.

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 111
    Options

I had a BMX with flat closure about a year and a half ago. I did not have a plastic surgeon; my breast surgeon did a good job and I am happy with the results. He said that he does a lot of flat closures nowadays. I was an A cup before so it was probably an easier task. The one thing I was not prepared for is that, being thin, when I take a shower I am literally washing skin and bones. I am acquainted with bones that I never knew existed before. It was a little unnerving at first, like washing a skeleton, but I am used to it now. I have plenty of padding on my hips LOL, just have always been very thin on top. My MO commented that it makes her job a lot easier.