Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Sharing towels with others, including a young kid, after more than a year of radiation therapy

Options

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone shared towels with your husband and young children after more than a year of radiation therapy treatment. I did share with my kid sometimes, especially things like going to the beach or pools or accidentally using mine when he finished showering. So, is that fine?

Thank You!

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    edited April 9
    Options

I have never heard of any type of prohibition on towel or clothing sharing after radiation nor any warnings about contact with others. Also, do you mean you’ve been getting rads for more than a year or that you last rads tx was more than a year ago?
    Here is some good information. Please note that I am assuming you are talking about external beam radiation, but other types of radiation and possible precautions to take are discussed as well.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    edited April 10
    Options

I am having no luck with copy/paste on bco. Please look for info on external beam radiation. It does not appear as if you have anything to worry about, with respect to your family as this type of radiation, typical for breast cancer, does not carry risk to others. Other types of radiation may be different. The following statement is from the NIH:
    External beam radiation therapy will not make you radioactive

People often wonder if they will be radioactive when they are having treatment with radiation. External beam radiation therapy will not make you radioactive. You may safely be around other people, even pregnant women, babies, and young children.