Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

AC or CMF?

I am trying to decide between AC chemo (8 weeks) or CMF (6 months) Wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom? I am most worried about long term effects on the heart or nervous system. I had my 1st cancer 15 years ago on the other breast and had TC chemo which messed with the nerves in my legs, so I didn't want to do that again. I'm also worried about the accumulative effect of a 2nd radiation in addition to the AC (anthracyclines) on my heart.

Thanks

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

@rosiesu, welcome to our community, although we're sorry you had to find us!

Until other members post with their own experiences and support, here are a couple of links to articles on our site that might help:

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation-therapy/side-effects

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/heart-failure-anthracyclines

Wishing you the best in your decision-making process. We're all here to support you.

Sincerely,

The Mods

• barbara510
    barbara510 Member Posts: 4

I am 7 years out from stage 2b, her2- IDC. I chose CMF instead of AC because of the long lasting side effects of AC. I also had a DXM, 14 nodes removed, radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen. I don’t regret my decision but still worry about a reoccurrence, like I’m sure anyone with a BC diagnosis would. CMF was not a cake walk, but I didn’t get sick from it, just very tired, bit of brain fog and some constipation. I do not have any long lasting effects from CMF and didn’t lose my hair, which was nice. The radiations treatments were harder on me than the chemo. Since you are stage 1, I would seriously consider CMF, but If I was stage 3 or 4, I would have gone with AC. Something to discuss with your doctor. Today I feel great (knock on wood), though I miss my real boobs. Good luck with everything, the decisions one has to make after a diagnosis are so difficult. XO, Barb

• rosiesu
    rosiesu Member Posts: 6

Thanks so much Barbara510 for taking the time to post. I appreciate hearing others experiences. I have my appt. for a 2nd opinion 2 days from now. I am still sitting on the fence about which way to go. I am trying to find time to research some others experience with either the AC or the CMF. I lean instinctively to the CMF for some reason, but 6 months of treatments seems like such a long time. I am trying to move my Mom into assisted living and clear and sell her house. So I'm thinking that I might be able to have more energy in between treatments with the CMF vs. the AC. I am so glad you are healthy and feeling great. I hope you stay that way for a very long time! -Sue

• rosiesu

Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments. I have decided on the CMF as it sounds like it should be easier to tolerate, even though it will be 6 months and 12 treatments (instead of 2 months and 4 treatments with the AC.) My 2nd opinion doctor agreed that it was a reasonable choice as I am caring for my Mom, moving her to a care facility, and trying to clear and sell her house. I will need to be functional in the coming months as much as possible. Had the 1st infusion yesterday, took about 2.5 hours, the port made it easy. I was good for about 2 hours after, then started getting really tired and kind of crappy feeling. No nausea yet, but didn't sleep due to the corticosteroids in the IV for inflammation. Today, day 2, pretty tired, but no major SE yet. I'll try to keep posting how it goes. Hope you are all hanging in there whatever your days are bringing! Thanks for being there. - Sue

• rosiesu

So for an update I finished the first 2 treatments of CMF, 2 Mondays in a row. Now I get a few weeks off before I do it again. The first week I was very tired and generally just didn't feel good for about 4 days, then I was fine. The 2nd week was not as easy. I was extremely tired, plus being somewhat constipated and quesy and weak. Then having diarrhea and tired, not sleeping well. I was able to eat ok for the most part. I was able to get the important things done each day but it was a push. This lasted for 6 days and by Sunday I was fine. No mouth sores yet. I am pretty much doing everything recommended, drinking lots of water, eating 75 gr of protein each day, etc.

• rosiesu

Hi All, so for an update, I have finished the 3rd (of 12) chemo infusion of CMF. It's not really too bad, the first 2 or 3 days I am still covered by the anti-nausea meds from the IV. Then the 4th day start to feel a little more unsettled and tired. Have had some hair thinning in the shower and when styling, but so far its not real noticeable except to me. I am pretty much able to eat normally. I don't feel great, but am able to go about my day mostly as long as I don't push too hard and rest a bit when I feel tired. I will keep updating in hopes that this helps someone else down the line. -Sue