Start Chemo (doxorubicin) Thursday

Anyone have any experience with doxorubicin? When do symptoms start to come on? Were you able to work while in treatment? How sick did you get? Just looking for any info available.

I have been diagnosed since 5/19. Had a lumpectomy and anixilarry dissection. Start Chemo this Thursday, 7/25. Scared and nervous.

Comments

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 212

Hi Atlgirl.

I had Adriamycin aka doxorubicin for neoadjuvant chemo (so prior to surgery). I had it In combination with cytoxan. At the time (2019) it was the standard of care for triple negative breast cancer. I used the fasting method to help limit nausea and vomiting. The medical facility I received treatment in really tried to provide medications to help with the nausea and vomiting. For me, the fasting method helped more than the meds, but most people receive great benefits from the medications that they provide you to help with the nausea. There should be a thread on this site that deals specifically with chemo treatment for the time period you will be on chemo. It really helps to hear what others are going through. Please check out the thread because I think it will help you.

Some side effects I had during adriamycin/cytoxan included hair loss (went almost bald after the first treatment), black nails, menopause (I was premenopausal prior to treatment), arm swelling for the first infusion because there was not enough time to get a port inserted before the first IV infusion, anal fissures (felt like I was pooping glass shards), & skin rashes. Overall, I thought I went through it pretty well. I was not able to work during treatment, but I have read on this site of others who worked full time during treatment. I was able to walk every day during treatment.