Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Radiation AFTER mastectomy & direct implant

Hi can I please ask if anyone had radiation after a mastectomy and immediate implant reconstruction?

I was initially told (before surgery) due to how small the area of DCIS was that I would avoid radiation but the pathology report says otherwise.

I feel sick with worry regarding the effect radiation will have on my gel implant / further surgery 🥹💔.

Comments

• dani444
    dani444 Member Posts: 216

I am so sorry you got a crappy surprise with the surgical Pathology. I went with immediate recon after my mastectomy because my lymph nodes looked “great” on all imaging, that was not the case and up getting rads. I was watched closely with frequent visits to my plastic surgeon. My implant sits much higher on my radiated side and is very firm compared to the other side. I did have fat grafting a few years after rads (I am 5 years out now) it was the hope that it would help soften the area back up. It didn’t make a difference though. I completely understand all of your worries and maybe get an appointment with your plastic surgeon to discuss all of your concerns. Sending you all the good thoughts as you navigate through this difficult process.