Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

High-Intensity Exercise During Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Improves Survival

High-Intensity Exercise During Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Improves Survival

September 18, 2024

Women who did a combination of high-intensity interval training, plus either strength work or moderate-intensity aerobic exercise, during chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer were more likely to be alive and less likely to have the cancer come back than women who didn’t exercise during chemo. Read more…

Tagged:

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 438

I exercised but it wasn't high intensity. I barely got down the sidewalk during the last few weeks.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

We can certainly understand how exercising can be challenging, especially during treatment! But it sounds like every little bit helps! Thanks for sharing, @kaynotrealname !

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 135

If it helps anyone….

I know how kaynotrealname felt! I am a swimmer, and would hit the pool four days after chemo sessions. Towards the end I was so tired I would sit in my car for fifteen minutes willing myself to trudge into the building. and would look for the lane closest to the lifeguard, just in case I couldn’t manage it. The first 20 laps felt like swimming through jello. Then something would kick in, and I would make it through my mile and feel completely energized after. The exercise somehow beat out the exhaustion.

I know this may not be true for everyone, but it was a lifesaver for me in many ways. As a bonus, complete clinical response after finishing neoadjuvant chemo and no recurrence eight years out.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 438

So nice to read ratherbesailing! You know, I remember those last sessions, too. I'd start walking and my muscles would hurt so much and then somehow halfway through it would just stop. Maybe go numb, maybe just get used to it, I don't know. But I would finish and feel better for the effort. Being active during chemo, whatever your level, is very much worth it.