Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Finishing verzenio

melanier
melanier Member Posts: 2

I have just finished two years of abemaciclib, following on from surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. I was lucky that just as I finished radiotherapy, Verzinio was approved in the UK for stage 3 BC patients with high risk of recurrence. Given the pretty awful side effects as well as the timing, it means that there aren't many people in my position, who have finished 2 years' treatment.

I am still on letrazole, zoladex and zometa, but this sees the end of a pretty arduous chapter. I've been anaemic since I started chemotherapy 2.5 years ago and my white cell count is on the floor. I've also had the fatigue, thinning/disappearing hair, gastrointestinal issues and more recently, massive inflammation leading to a rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis and lots of steroids.

I am hoping I will start to feel better - I don't remember what it's like to have energy and enough breath to go up a set of stairs 🤣🤣. Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation?

Comments

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 508
    edited September 29

I was on abemaciclib for 4 years due to metastatic disease however required 2 dosage reductions to be able to tolerate it. Was that an option for you? My anemia and low neutrophils became less of a problem when I had to stop because of progression (new tumors in my liver). So, I think your blood counts should start increasing and you will feel better!

Hopefully you have a rheumatologist treating your arthritis. Steroids can be life savers but must be used with caution. My initial round of high dose prednisone for hepatic inflammation led to premature cataract development for which I had surgery a year ago. 2nd blast last winter was therapy for pneumonitis. A hip rapidly deteriorated & was replaced in May.

For others reading this, I managed bowel urgency by taking 2 calcium polycarbophil tablets daily with lunch. Brand name is FiberCon. Ironically, it’s usually stocked in the laxative section. As a retired pharmacist, I knew it could help either diarhhea or constipation by a unique mechanism of action - absorbing excess fluid in the lower intestine to bulk up stool…

• melanier
    melanier Member Posts: 2

Wow - 4 years is amazing - it sounds like you have had a tough time. How is the Enhertu going?

I'm not surprised you needed dose reductions though. I think it could have been an option, but I managed without it in the end. I had to pause it twice for a week each time, once when I caught Covid and once when my white cell count became non existent. Its still only at 1 now.

I do have a rheumatologist, but he wanted to wait to treat the RA until I had finished Verzinio, hence the steroids which I hate more than any other drug I have been on. Without them though I can't move very well and fall over a couple of times a week because I can't react fast enough.