Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Appearance after bilateral mastectomy

I had a bilateral mastectomy about six weeks ago, without reconstruction. I can't get used to the bizarre lumps all around and on where my breasts used to be. One scar seems deeply embedded; both scars look rough and bumpy. Is this normal? My surgeon is unconcerned and said it could take up to six months for things to smooth out. I would appreciate your thoughts and experience. Thank you.

Comments

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 134

I am 2 years post BMX without reconstruction and my scars significantly improved over time. At first they were red, bumpy, fairly wide, and I had small dog ears at the end near my armpits. The dog ears were completely gone after a few months. The appearance of the scars gradually improved and now they are thin, white pencil lines. My chest isn't perfectly flat and smooth, but it's pretty close.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558

@reiterlaw, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're glad you found us.

While your surgeon's advice is reassuring, it's understandable that you're feeling nervous. As you can see, many members in the community have shared similar experiences, with lumps, bumps, and scars taking time to heal. Here are two articles from our main site that might help you understand more about post-mastectomy healing and what to expect during recovery:

Post-mastectomy surgery

Most Women Satisfied With Choice to Go Flat After Mastectomy, but Choice Not Supported by Many Surgeons

Hope this helps. Feel free to share more about your diagnosis and treatment, and don’t hesitate to keep participating and asking questions. We're here for you!

The Mods

• reiterlaw
    reiterlaw Member Posts: 2

Thank you. I will be patient and hope for improvement.

• amel_83
    amel_83 Member Posts: 223

Yes, my scars too took months to get finally flat and light in color.

At a point i tough they were going to stay very ugly, as 3/4 months passed and they were still red and thick...but they eventually got better and even!