We need your inspirational words for a new project! Share with us.

Cancer Markers Confusion

Hello. I am 8 years out from my breast cancer. It was small and found early but it was in the high range for recurrence, so I had both chemo and radiation and took an aromatase inhibitor for five years. At the end of five years, my risk assessment was a 6.7% chance of recurrence. However, my last blood test showed my CA-15-3 was in the normal range, the LDH was in the high range but lower than the previous test (211 from the previous 262), but my CEA had increased (5.7 from 4.6). My last MRI showed no mass. So I'm concerned that the cancer has metastasized or there is a new cancer. My oncologist wants to wait 3 months to retest. If the markers increase, she will order a PET scan. My question is how worried should I be? Should I ask for the PET now, get a second opinion, or wait the 3 months?

Comments

  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 10,506

    Hello @lrubenstein

    Thank you for reaching out to us on the community boards. Seeing tumor markers change after everything you've been through, can be pretty scary.

    The encouraging news is that your MRI showed no mass and your CA 15-3 remains normal. CEA and LDH can be elevated for many reasons, so your oncologist is likely looking at the overall picture, not just one lab result.

    If waiting three months is causing you significant anxiety, it's completely reasonable to ask your oncologist why waiting is considered safe or to seek a second opinion for peace of mind.

    If you develop any new or persistent symptoms, be sure to let your oncology team know right away.

    Hope this helps and wishing you all the best.

    The Community Navigators