Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo September 2022?

mvspaulding
mvspaulding Member Posts: 163

Hi I just started chemo this past Friday and was looking for a group to talk through things with. This is unfortunately my second go around but I’m doing a different chemo regimen and it’s kicking my butt so far. Just thought we could all rant, vent and encourage each other.

Comments

• spartybuckeye
    spartybuckeye Member Posts: 11

I start tomorrow, 4 rounds of AC every other week and then 12 weeks of Taxol. I’m ready to get it started to get it over with.

• mvspaulding

Sounds like we are on the same one. I do four rounds of AC followed by four of taxol as well. Are you having surgery following chemo?

• spartybuckeye

I had a BMX in July. I was hoping to avoid chemo, but had two positive sentinel nodes, it was multifocal, and I am youngish (44).

How did your first round go

• mvspaulding

Whew the Adriamycin is rough. I went through chemo the last time in 2016 but didn’t have AC. I had TC. (Taxotere). Im hoping I will feel better tomorrow but it’s been a tough few days. Good luck to you tomorrow!

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35

This will be my 2nd go at chemo. First time was in 2013 with 6 rounds of cytoxin and taxotere. Recurrence happened 4 years ago and have been on Ibrnace & Femara. Can has now changed to Ner2nu+, so beging 3 - 6 rounds of Taxotere next week. Not looking forward to it but I am told it is very effective. I will by trying the cooling cap this time, losing my hair last time was VERY emotional! Prayers to you all!

• lef
    lef Member Posts: 32

I started on 9/20. Taxotere and Cytoxin. Unfortunately, I had an immediate negative reaction to Taxotere, so they're planning to switch me to Abraxane.

• mvspaulding

vw

I’m sorry you are going through this a second time as well. I did taxotere first go around and didn’t have many problems. They have me on Adriamycin this time around. I have been pretty nauseous and tired every day since treatment. Glad I only have four treatments of it. 

• mvspaulding

Lef

I’m not familiar with abraxane but I’m sure that was scary having a bad reaction. Hope the new regimen works for you. 

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78

I started chemo in Jan 2020 - 4 rounds of AC followed by 4 rounds of Taxol. I had a double mastectomy in Dec 2019. Just wanted to let all of you know that while time might move slowly at times, it does move forward. A friend of mine who had BC ten years before I did told me to focus on staying hydrated, eating protein and making sure I walked everyday. I did find walking everyday to be very important. I did lose my hair, but it was back within a year. Be kind to yourselves and just keep moving forward. If possible, plan a trip or something fun to do when all these treatments are behind you. My daughter and I just completed the Tour du Mont Blanc - a hundred mile hike in the alps. I feel stronger than ever and no longer think of myself as a 'patient'. Keep the faith!

• mvspaulding

Hi Maddy

Thanks for encouragement. I had bilateral mastectomy in 2015 followed by chemo. Unfortunately I am back with a recurrence. So this time doing the same regimen as you had. The first one knocked me down pretty good. I’m a week out and went to Dr for follow up today and they decided to give me fluids so I could have a good weekend. I am going to try and walk each day too now that our weather is cooling off. Congrats on that hike! That’s awe

• spartybuckeye

How’s everyone doing?

My first round of AC went fine. The side effects hit that evening which I wasn’t expecting it so soon. I had it on a Tuesday, slept a lot Wednesday, napped a little Thursday but was able to take a walk, Friday back to normal. My second round is Tuesday. I just keep thinking after Tuesday I’ll be halfway through AC

• mvspaulding
    edited March 2023

I finished my chemo on 12/30/22. Made for a great New Years Eve. Is everyone done now? Any lasting side effects? My nails are a wreck. But my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes are coming back so that is good. There is always that fear that the hair won't come back.