Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Abemaciclib Verzenio for Stage IV

Options

Comments

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 314
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi, all, I've been on Verzenio 150mg for a little over 3 months. I was wondering if anyone has gotten an itchy rash from it. It's on my lower legs, and is slowly driving me insane. Not so bad during the day, because I have other things to keep my mind off of it, but at night, it keeps me awake. I see my oncologist the end of the month and will mention it then (so she can see it), but generally don't see it as a known side effect of the Verzenio. I've also noticed a weakness in my legs. I will see my regular provider to check my cholesterol levels, as the last time my legs felt like this was when I started Ibrance in 2017, and had pain and weakness due to the way the Ibrance was eliminated from the body - it took over the pathway the statin normally used, so there was a buildup of the statin. I switched the statin to every other day, and was fine until switching to the Verzenio (that's when the rash started, too, though very small patches at first).

My husband wants me to call my oncologist and ask for a dose reduction, but I want to wait for my scan (end of the month) to see if the Verzenio has done anything first. So I guess I'm also wondering if anyone has had a dose reduction?

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,150
    edited March 2023
    Options

ciaci, I had a dose reduction to 100mg 2X per day. I have maintained my NEAD status on this dosage. It helped immensely with weakness. Also, every time I go in to the oncologist they ask if I have a rash so perhaps it is a side effect. I would call about the rash and see if they have a response since it takes a little time to get the dosage changed.

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited March 2023
    Options

That's it. My wife is now done with abemaciclib and is switching to xeloda / capecitabine. Perhaps she will revisit cdk4/6 inhibitors in the future, if the opportunity arises and it seems right, but right now she needs a change in treatment.

• intolight
    edited March 2023
    Options

Husband, glad Xeloda is there for her. I went the opposite--from Xeloda to Abema. This is my second cdk4/6 inhibitor and I am doing well on it so switching back can work. Prayers this works well for her.

• going2beatthis
    going2beatthis Member Posts: 120
    edited March 2023
    Options

Wishing her lots of luck with Xeloda.

• weninwi
    weninwi Member Posts: 748
    edited March 2023
    Options

I'm no longer on Verzenio, but was for about 2 years, so dealt with the diarrhea issue. I'm just learning about resistant starch to feed the gut microbiome. Specifically I've been reading about green banana powder. People add it to yogurt, smoothies, etc, and people with chronic gut issues report a decrease in diarrhea. Has anyone here tried green banana power?

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 679
    edited March 2023
    Options

I've never heard of green banana powder but in the hospital setting we sometimes have to give patients a powder called Banatrol which I think is just dried banana flakes in a milk based powder to help with diarrhea from tube feeds. I wonder if that is a similar thing? I have seen it work fairly well on some folks.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2023
    Options

I had a brain scan yesterday and it appears that the Verzenio is working on my brain Mets! Some are smaller and there areno new ones! I’ll take it!

• going2beatthis
    edited April 2023
    Options

That is so amazing and in such a short time! 👏

So happy for you. Have a fantastic weekend celebrating! 🌈

Sending hugs and kisses. 🤗 😘

• intolight
    edited April 2023
    Options

akj, Amazing! I am so happy for you. Celebrating here!!!

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited April 2023
    Options

Akj, that is great to hear. Congratulations.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,292
    edited April 2023
    Options

Great going, Akj - may the success continue!

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    edited April 2023
    Options

Wonderful news!

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    edited April 2023
    Options

Joining you Verzenio folks. I am happy to see that at the very top of the page is great news! Yay akj!

Was on and off Ibrance since March 2021 De novo diagnosis (off for 2 surgeries and 7 weeks radiation). My body tends to respond strongly to drugs, and Ibrance was no exception. I was down to 75mg (lowest) within a few cycles. Most recently I was taking it for 18 days and one off for 10 per cycle. (Normal is 21 on, 7 off). But my ANC and white bloods still got dangerously low, and I got a rash last cycle, so Onward.

I'll start verzenio at low dose, 100, right off the bat. Onc says if I don't react well on this, that's it for this class of drugs.

I'm so worried about diarrhea!!! It's getting into recital season and my students have much to learn, plus I have some stage rehearsals (big expense and not possible to rrschedule) next week. In a perfect world, I'd have an assistant/intern so I can run if I need to, but that doesn't exist. (Yet?🤞)

Anyway, Hi. I've got loads if reading to do on this new-to-me thread!

Happy Passover/Easter!

• going2beatthis
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi Dancemom. Glad you found this thread! 👏. Lots of great info here.

• emac877
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi Dancemom. I will second going2beatthis, there is lots of great info here. I can't remember which page but throughout is a lot of info on managing diarrhea. If you read through the intro and the first several pages there is a lot of info about Verzenio itself. In summary, fluids are your friend with this. If you are having a lot of diarrhea alternate water and electrolyte enhanced fluids. Fiber is also your friend even though it seems counter intuitive. It will help absorb water in the gut so the stool is more solid. I also carry immodium with me and the chewable peopto tablets. Both have helped in a pinch. Everyone seems a little different in what works best for them. I found the first few months the hardest and since then haven't had a lot of trouble with this med. I am dosing down to 100mg from 150 after being in NEAD status for the last two years. It has worked really well for me. I am in hopes that it will work the same for you.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    edited April 2023
    Options

thanks!

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2023
    Options

Welcome Dancemom! Agree, lots of tips here on managing diarrhea. And not everyone gets debilitating diarrhea. I lean more toward constipation. Metamucil and lots of water are my friends.

• marbab
    marbab Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello all,

My mum has secondary breast cancer with bone met in several areas. She is on Verzenio, letrozol, and xgeva, starting in September 2023. The treatment has been effective so far in reducing tumor markers and size of tumors. However, she has been developing a very bad taste in her mouth since she started the treatment. She does not enjoy eating anymore and refuses to eat… she has lost about 7 kg over the past few months and we are so worried that even though her cancer condition is improving she is weakened due to not eating well. I wonder if any of you have had similar experience with Verzenio and do you have any recommendations? Thank you very much

• weninwi
    edited April 2023
    Options

marbab,

I responded to your concern on the Bone Mets thread regarding low Vit B12 as a possible cause of your mother's symptoms. Please check it out.

• emac877
    edited April 2023
    Options

Marbab - I have had a slight taste change since starting Verzenio. I just don't have the same appetite that I did and food doesn't always appeal to me. Things sometimes taste waxy or metalic or have no flavor at all. I've been on it 3.5 years though and I can't say I have ever wanted to not eat unless I'm having bad GI issues with it. I've had a trended drop in both my red and white cells over the past year and while I have done reasonably well with Verzenio my MO has decided to decrease the dose in hopes that it will boost my energy and decrease the frequent diarrhea I seem to have recently had trouble with. I'm also on fulvestrant and Xgeva so some of the fatigue may come from that. I have been NEAD for almost two years on fulvestrant/Verzenio so I am looking forward to a dose reduction in hopes it will give me a better QOL.

• marbab
    marbab Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2023
    Options

Dear weninwi and emac877, thank you very much for your replies. we will discuss lowering the dosage with her oncologist next week. She got a B12 injection today, and she says she feels a bit better... emac877 great to hear about you being NEAD for the past two years. Hope this becomes the case for my mum one day:) wish you both all the best

• weninwi
    edited April 2023
    Options

threetree,

This summarizes my experiences on Verzenio: I was on Verzenio for about 2 1/2 years with no progression, but considerable side effects, in part because of the terrible advice ("follow a low fiber diet") I was given by an oncology pharmacist when I first started the drug. Do NOT follow a low fiber diet. Instead I recommend the advice given at the top of this thread by cancer researcher Constantine Kaniklidis. Key strategies that were most helpful to me were: 1.) Dose adjustment - don't hesitate to ask for lower dose if needed 2.) Imodium (anti-motility med). I was reluctant to use it at first, but my GI doctor said I could safely take up to 6 a day, and I only needed one a day or every other day. 3.) Added fiber - I chose to use Konsyl Daily Psyllium Fiber, in large part because it doesn't have any added sugar. But you'll read that others chose Metamicil, or Fiber Con, or etc. Now off Verzenio, I no longer need it. 4.) Lots of water every day. The commenter Going2BeatThis always emphasizes plenty of water daily and I still follow this advice. 5.) RK2020 mentioned stomach pain and I had this side effect. I got some relief with Pepcid AC, which my oncology pharmacist said was safe to use while on Verzenio. I was told it had to be used regularly as indicated on the package (not intermittently) to get much good out of it. Now off Verzenio, I no longer need it. 6.) Daily Probiotic to feed the gut microbiome. I think probiotic supplements are a waste. I recommend Greek Yogurt and/or Kefir daily. I still eat both every day. 7.) At times I used Pepto Bismol, Ginger Gummies, or Ginger Tea. I eventually developed low protein and low albumin, but this might have resulted in part from the low fiber diet I followed for 18 months. I had lower leg edema because of the low protein and low albumin. I recommend a substantial protein intake at every meal. My protein target was and still is 100-120gm/day. 8.) I developed low B12 and low Vit D while on Verzenio, so make sure your levels are checked. I switched to sublingual supplements to correct these deficiencies. I also developed an intolerance to FODMAP foods while on Verzenio. I have no idea why, except for the fact that Verzenio affects the GI tract. My FODMAP reaction was severe stomach pain that started about 2 hours after a meal. Avoiding high FODMAP foods was the only effective relief from this pain, and I still follow a low FODMAP diet now. I would have continued on the Verzenio, for as long as I had no progression, but the radiologist who read my abdominal CT scans finally said the visible thickening of my colon wall was likely due to drug toxicity. So I quit and switched to Ibrance and had progression within 3 months. But maybe even if I had stayed on Verzenio, I still would have had progression after 3 more months. I hope you have a long and tolerable run on Verzenio.

• threetree
    edited April 2023
    Options

WeninWi - Thanks so much for this - in both places. It's a big help. I am also intending to read through this thread much more extensively as I have time. Interesting, as so many high FODMAP foods are my favorites and many of them are also supposed to be good breast cancer fighters.

• intolight
    edited April 2023
    Options

Dancemom, welcome to this thread. I found my diarrhea was pretty consistent but manageable with Imodium. After almost a year it has improved greatly.

weninwi, thank you for your post. Your comments resonate with me in several areas. I am one who was prescribed Prilosec with my first treatment (Ibrance) almost seven years ago, and although it is not recommended, I am still on Prilosec. It controls my Gerd best. My oncologist closely monitors everything else and feels the benefits outweigh the detriments for me. I also eat greek yogurt everyday and this helps. I was recommended the FODMAP diet by my gastroenterologist nurse and I agree with you it does not agree with me so I dropped it quickly. Interesting that you should bring this up. Also, what you said about the thickening of your colon wall is also a new side effect for me and we have begun to watch it closely. I fear I may be dropping Verzenio soon although I have been NEAD on it for since September. This week I had a UTI that sent me to the ER. It was discovered there that I have dangerously low oxygen levels so I have also been put on oxygen. Darn! I do live in Colorado Springs at 7200 ft elevation so that is also a contributing factor. So this has not been my best month but I soldier on.

Best of results for everyone here.

• going2beatthis
    edited April 2023
    Options

Interesting about the thickening of the colon wall. Am very curious about that since it is just ovr 2 years that I have been on Verzenio. In both of your cases (Weninwi and Intolight) exactly what was it that lead to this discovery? Wonder if the thickening of the colon wall shows up on a PET/CT scan.

Weninwi - Sorry to hear that you had progression with the Ibrance after 3 months.

Intolight - Sorry to hear what you are going through. Is there any connection between your low oxygen level and Verzenio?

Sending hugs to both of you.

• weninwi
    edited April 2023
    Options

going2beatthis,

I wasn't aware of any new symptom to suggest that a new problem had developed. The thickening of my colon wall showed up on CT scan with contrast.The radiologist is the only doctor who offered an opinion on the likely cause...."drug toxicity". My GI doctor, who I saw several times for upper and lower GI tests, only said "we see this sometimes". My MO said nothing...absolutely nothing to either support or refute the radiologist's opinion. Thankfully, the colon thickening resolved after I stopped Verzenio.

• intolight
    edited April 2023
    Options

going2beatthis, my thickening of the colon wall also showed on CT with contrast. My oncologist asked about symptoms like stomach pain, increased bowel issues, etc., but did not volunteer a cause. She just said she will watch for it. Interesting it was not noted (seen?) in the CT with contrast I had taken on Friday when they were looking for a cause for my stomach pain connected with my UTI. I am wondering whether it was even there. I will have it repeated next month in my three-monthly scans. I do not know a cause yet for my oxygen levels, but when I take it off even for a few minutes my level drops. I see my PCP tomorrow to evaluate it all so hopefully she will have an opinion.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 872
    edited April 2023
    Options

intolight, Apologies in advance for posting here but the UTI meds and need for oxygen could be caused by pneumonitis/ILD. I'm not a doctor but have ILD caused by radiation. I was warned by my pulmonologist that many meds for UTIs including ciprofloxacin, nitrofurantoin and other sulfa drugs could put me back on O2 and to check anything a doctor wants to prescribe on pneumotox.com to make sure it's not in the ILD category. Also, Verzenio has a black box warning for ILD. It's rare but can be serious. Stopping the drug and high dose prednisone is the treatment. A chest CT would show lung infiltrates and possibly fibrosis. The radiologist, my PCP and a local pulmonologist couldn't identify mine but my RO did. An MO should be familiar with ILD since it's a possible side effect of almost all treatments for ER+ mbc.

Of course, it could be something else. That fish-out-of-water feeling is scary. I hope they can find the cause and you can free yourself from the tank.

• threetree
    Options

I've been on Faslodex for about a month now, and am 3 days into taking the full dose (2X150 mg) of Verzenio. I started the Verzenio a little over a week ago, but for that first week only took the evening dose (my choice/decision, not the onc's) just to see how it went. I did fine with the evening dose only and it was looking like something I would be able to deal with long term. Ever since I started the second daily dose (3 days now), I feel really bad about 2-3 hours after I take the morning dose, and then for most of the rest of the day. I have a lot of mets to my spine, ribs, and sternum, along with fractures in those areas. They have been painful in the past, but ever since I started the Verzenio, they seem to be much, much more painful - to the point of being debilitating and making me cry at times. Additionally, I just feel "generally unwell," weak, and have some lightheaded moments. I've also developed some hoarseness and a cough. Has anyone else experienced these kinds of problems with Verzenio? So far, and knock on wood, I have not had a diarrhea problem or any nausea to speak of. It's this much increased pain with the bone mets, and the all over weakness, fatigue, yuck, and "meh" feeling that is just really bad. I have no fever and my O2 and blood pressure are all just fine.

This was so bad yesterday that I almost didn't take the evening dose, but I did. At the same time, I swore though that I would not take this morning's dose, just to give myself a little break and to see if I didn't feel any better. When I woke up, I actually felt pretty good so I went ahead and took the morning dose again, in spite of my vow not to. Now this afternoon, I am back in the same situation. I feel like hell and am telling myself I might not take the evening dose and will definitely not take tomorrow's morning dose. Can anybody relate to any of this? If so, any thoughts or comments? I noticed that both Faslodex and Verzenio have joint and muscle pain listed as side effects, so that could be making the fractures more painful, but otherwise I'm scared that the fractures got suddenly worse, or that I have more now, or something. The only thing though is that it is all of the fractures that I've had that are hurting so much more since I started the Verzenio. It's not like I'm feeling new spots, or only one spot is worse - it's all the existing spots, but all at one time.