Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

On the edge of SEVENTEEN

sugarplum
sugarplum Member Posts: 70
edited April 2023 in Stage III Breast Cancer

And this year my cancerversary actually falls on the same day of the week that it did in 2006. I remember that Friday as if it were yesterday - and yet it still feels as if it happened to a different person. This year, instead of waiting for my husband to get home from work so I could collapse into his arms with the devastating news, I will be watching him direct the Cannon Beach Chorus at their spring concert (appropriately the theme is "All About Love - From Mozart to McCartney). Seventeen years ago, this would have been impossible for me to imagine.

I continue to be grateful for spending the last 40 years with this patient, steadfast man - and for the extra time I've been gifted since 2006 (which I refer to as "gravy" years).

All my best to all of you…

Julie

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,811

Sugarplum, it's so wonderful to see you here! And that sounds like an absolutely lovely way to spend the day. 💜

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 40

sugarplum, congratulations! I have a small book of long term survivors, I write peoples’ names in (people on message boards, friends and family, celebrities, anyone!) and they give me hope and I wish them all the very best every night. Your name has been in my book for months.

I hope you had a fantastic evening x

• yippeekiyaymf
    yippeekiyaymf Member Posts: 25

Amazing posts! Happy cancerversary to you! I am so happy for you and to hear your story—-. Thanks for sharing the hope it brings the rest of us! Maybe I will need to start making a list too like you clars! Love this post—- enjoy these amazing evenings

• ausykaren
    ausykaren Member Posts: 59

Congratulations Julie. Great to see you here.

• yatcomw
    yatcomw Member Posts: 57

Congratulations Julie……this is so great to see you continue to do well…..Enjoy the gravy years!!!!! I call it my bonus time;)))))

Jacqueline

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 208

Sugarplum,

Congratulations and thank you for your post! I love your term gravy years. I may have to borrow that myself, if you don't mind. Enjoy every single moment! And it sounds like you do:-)

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 353

Oh it's lovely to see a grade 3 doing so well :) Thank you for posting and letting us know how you're coming along! It's a wonderful thing to read.

• francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63

cheers to many more "gravy years", Julie! I always go back to all your posts when I'm scared. Thanks for all the updates and for continuously giving us hope.

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336

@sugarplum Congratulations on you 17 year milestone! As a survivor who is still hitting all of my one year markers H (this week is one year for my chemo treatment number 2) I love celebrating your 17 years. Thank you for sharing it with us. 🌼🌸🌺💐🌷🌹🥀🌼🌸🌺🪻🌻🥀🌹🌸🪷🌷

• clars

It’s been really useful to pull out the list in times of stress! It calms me down. I hope I’m on someone’s list in the future :)

PS love your username ☺️

• yippeekiyaymf
    yippeekiyaymf Member Posts: 25

Ha ha—- It was my mantra during the tough parts of treatment—- ;). I will be putting you on my list soon

• clars

@yippeekiyaymf ditto ☺️ you’ll get pride of place on my list!

• yatcomw
    yatcomw Member Posts: 57

Julie……congratulations……it's so nice to see you continue to do so well…….and yes….. I count mine as my bonus years;))))))

Jacqueline

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 70

Jacqueline! Lovely to see you too. Here's to the old-timers - AND the new-timers!

Julie