Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

18 plus years now

I like to post here occasionally, this forum helped me a lot early in my dx.

I am living well with stage v for over 18 years. I am triple positive and on herceptin and Aromasin. For the last nine years I have had no signs of cancer. The last time the cancer was active it was in my bones and lungs.

I know stories like this can help people realize it is possible to live longer than stats tell you. My first grandchild was born 1 year after my dx and I didn’t think I’d live to see him start school and here he is going to graduate high school this year.

I had a mastectomy in Jan 1999 and never got reconstructive surgery. Last year I finally decided to have it done. My first surgery for my tram flap was in February. I was supposed to have the 2nd surgery last month but I developed a large hernia and I need that repaired before he works on the breast again. I have my hernia surgery Friday and can’t wait to get my breast finished.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249

Huge congratulations! I am at the 13 year mark myself. You make good point about statistics and we need to remember that those stats are historical, not predictive for any individual. The reality is that you and I are outliers and no one really knows why. May we continue to do well and may researchers find out why so it can benefit others. Take good care.

I am assuming you meant stage IV, since there is no stage V.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

Congratulations on such an incredible milestone, @luannh, and thank you for posting. It's so inspiring!

Wishing you the best of luck with your hernia surgery on Friday.

The Mods

• luannh
    luannh Member Posts: 350

I did mean stage IV. Autocorrect stinks lol

• exbrnxgrl

LOL! You should see some of the doozies autocorrect has presented me with 😂

• alicia_en_madrid
    alicia_en_madrid Member Posts: 16

I remember you. I came here in January 2011 looking for hope and information for my mom.

She is still alive and doing relatively well, but the cancer is active and progressing.

Congratulations!

Alicia

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 494

luannh

At 18 years with no active cancer for the last 9, stage V does seem appropriate! Good of you to check in and hope you get many more years.

• leigh68
    leigh68 Member Posts: 39

Thank you for checking in - your story gives me hope!

• meja
    meja Member Posts: 85

Luannh

Thank you for sharing.

You are right, post like yours provide so much hope.

Meja

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858

Congrats, luannh!!

Am on your heels at 17 years post diagnosis, 16.5 without active cancer.

All the best on the reconstruction project.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,605

heidi, wonderful to hear from you and continuing to wish you the very best!

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,041

Thanks so much for posting! I hope I can follow in the footsteps of you, Heidi and exbrnxgrl. If you have any lifestyle tips that you think may contribute to your longevity, please share them.

• amel_83
    amel_83 Member Posts: 218

Wow congratulations and thank you for sharing!

Best wishes for your hernia operation and the reconstruction!

• exbrnxgrl

Thank you, chicagoan. For me, a great frustration has been the fact that the reason for my longevity is completely unknown. From time to time I get pm’s asking about my diet, exercise, or just lifestyle in general. My answer always disappoints people. I do nothing special or different than before my bc dx. Yes, I did go through a brief, and miserable period of “doing” the right things. Juicing, vegetarian, supplements, etc. My younger dd lived with me at the time and helped me but I really hated it and couldn’t envision enjoying my life with such restricted habits. Not putting these choices down, it just wasn’t for me.

Prior to dx, I ate a very moderate diet. I didn’t eat fast food or junk food, don’t drink soda or sugary beverages, etc. This is a comfortable way for me to live so after that brief period of a restricted diet, I went back to my pre-cancer lifestyle. On a personal note, my younger sister, who had adopted a “clean” lifestyle decades before that phrase existed, was diagnosed with a uterine sarcoma at age 50. She passed away within six months of her dx. Her clean lifestyle prevented nothing. While I am not suggesting that people sit on the couch and eat ice cream all day, one’s lifestyle seems to be a component of the cancer puzzle but not the whole thing.

I really do wish I had something to share that would help others but for now, I am just an outlier.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,041

exbrxngrl-I was under the impression that you either smoked marijuana or took edibles on a regular basis. Is that so? I know someone else on here with longterm stability uses marijuana daily. Unfortunately, I don't like the effects of marijuana or I would take it daily.

• exbrnxgrl

Yes, that is true! I do it mainly as an appetite stimulant (I am very thin) and for sleep. I both smoke and use pill forms but TBH, I do not believe that THC does anything to prevent, cure or stave off cancer progression. There is of course, little research based evidence to support or highlight possible good uses for THC but that is because it’s still a schedule I drug on the federal level so research dollars are limited. I don’t consider my THC use to be the reason I have done so well and other than anecdotes, there is not enough evidence for me to say it has held my bc off in anyway. I also religiously drink two cups of coffee every morning, but would not attribute my longevity to that either. If the research were there to support cannabis use as a tx or cure for cancer, I’d be happy but it just isn’t there… yet.
    I have been a cannabis user since my teens, on and off. I have a very high tolerance and can consume products that are over 50% THC and feel very little effect. Great for an appetite stimulant and sleep but I think it would be a stretch to even suggest that it has any other effect on my bc.