Join Us

We are 223,908 members in 83 forums discussing 163,273 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Holistic tx only--what I've done

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Dec 13, 2016 04:08PM

pipers_dream wrote:

I've had several people PM and want to know what I did for treatment and I've been bad about answering them but time has been in short supply so I just thought I'd put this up here. I am not calling myself a success story and in no way would my path be for everyone but some are wondering what I've done and what I'm willing to live with. Turns out I'm really comfortable with uncertainty, which I suppose is a strength and certainly one I never realized I had. Slowly in my life my personality has revealed itself little by little and I still surprise myself.

I got dx'ed mid-November 3 years ago and it was completely overwhelming to me. My husband had left me a few years before this after a very long marriage, I was a very new empty nester, and I had started not just a new job, but a new career as a special ed teacher, under very trying circumstances and after having to move to take the position. The lump was not a lump--it was a subtle rippling under the skin of my left breast and I saw it in the mirror one morning. I'm normally a procrastinator but I got right in and got it checked and it was certainly BC.

They started right away making mistakes with my tests and such. I had to miss an important scan b/c they failed to schedule it in line with when my period was due. One male doc told me lumpectomy but the more competent woman surgeon in St. Louis marched in and said grandly, "Off with the boobs!" Well she said something like that. I went ahead and scheduled it for January of 2014, but the more I thought about chemo and radiation, the more reluctant I felt and of course I was googling like crazy and reading many books.

I wanted to do holistic but wasn't even sure where to start. Thought I'd start with detox but much of what I read said don't do it if you still have metal fillings so I made an appointment with a holistic doc in St. Louis, 2-½ hours from home. The appt was on Monday and the surgery was scheduled for Friday of the same week. The doc took a look at me and told me I didn't look too bad and suggested that if I were willing to postpone the surgery, he figured he could help me knock it down to a lumpectomy, or possibly no surgery at all. The idea of canceling a major surgery was really scary b/c what if they got mad and refused to treat me after that. I decided to go ahead and do it anyway and immediately felt like a huge weight was lifted off my soul--I was very peaceful about my decision. By this time I had been on the ketogenic diet for 2 weeks and the cancer seemed to have stopped growing. I had felt it grow before--now it had stopped and all it took was to get the sugars out. I might add that I'd had a terrible sugar addiction all my life so I wasn't terribly surprised by this.

At this point I'm going to stop and tell you all why my reluctance to do conventional care. The first and most obvious one was the fact that I've always been a wannabe hippie. I was 5 years too late for the real fun, so I thought, but had always fooled about with herbs and making my own salves and herb teas and such and I actually think this is fun. The other reason was darker--only a year before as I was going thru mom's stuff after she died, I found pix of her aunt who had died of BC. She had a rare reaction to the chemo they used and was burned from the inside out. The pictures were horrific and I remembered some of the things they used to whisper about the case when she was dying--I wouldn't wish such a fate on Hitler. I knew that I wasn't going to do that. Some have pointed out that cancer meds have changed a lot in the last 25 years but when the MO gave me a list of what he wanted to use, that one was on the list. I knew it was a rare side effect but we were related.

So I will stop here and resume in another post b/c this one is getting really long. BRB.
Breast cancer should not be something to fear but rather a call to go deeper in this journey called life. Dx 11/14/2013, ILC, 5cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 6 of 6 (157 results)

Posts 151 - 157 (157 total)

Sep 10, 2021 12:37PM Trishyla wrote:

Wishing you all the best, pipers_dream as you make the decision as to what's best for you. We're here to support you no matter what.

Trish

Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 8/4/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Sep 17, 2021 07:42AM purple32 wrote:

Hi all

I went to a nutritional functional dr yesterday,... he said I need much more protein and suggested WHEY.

When I looked it up, it contained SOY!

I street clear from soy?Can anyone suggest a better source ?>
Many thanks!

Laurie

BILAT LE! from 5.12.12.LX DX 3/2012 IDC <1 cm stage 1 GR 1 ( 0/2 nodes) ER PR pos HER2- RECURRENCE same breast Jan 2020 LX FEB 2020 . NO rads or hormones. Dx 3/2012, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 5/1/2012 Lumpectomy: Left

Sep 17, 2021 07:56AM HersheyKiss wrote:

Laurie, Vitamin Shoppe carries lots of soy-free protein powders.

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/c/protein-fitness/pr...

Dx 3/1/2017, ILC, Left, 2cm, Grade 1, 3/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 22, 2021 03:18AM pipers_dream wrote:

Purple32, I favor Tara’s Whey, which most health food stores carry.

Breast cancer should not be something to fear but rather a call to go deeper in this journey called life. Dx 11/14/2013, ILC, 5cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 23, 2021 07:24AM pipers_dream wrote:

thank you Trishyla and all my friends on here for your support. That’s not an easy thing to get when you’re going your own way. Another dark secret of alternative is that you’ll never be comfortable in a cancer support group and will need to start your own. We did that a few years ago, using meetup as a platform and the first meeting was rather crowded with some strange new age types, like one lady who wanted to come in and rail on about how the govt is trying to kill us all with “biofilm.” She got a frosty reception and after that we only had a select few who were actually serious. Our leader, my friend, died three years ago and that was the end of our group but it was really helpful.

The news from the pet scan is bad. I have extensive lesions in my liver and could go at any time. In a way this is a bit of a relief because I was afraid that I’d linger on with greatly increasing pain in my bone Mets but the liver thing will insure that this doesn’t go on too long. I’m ok but it was hard telling my family.

We’ve called my daughter from Chile to come home but we’re going to run into difficulty because she will need permission to travel out of the country...they still have travel restrictions due to covid. This will require a note written from my doctor and I explained to the nurse yesterday that I need it stat but he didn’t write it yet so I’m going to drive the hour over there today and wait in his office until he delivers. I am not happy with this. The good news is he won’t have any trouble writing a Spanish translation since he’s from Colombia.

And now, working a list to get those affairs in order...things I can easily do that others will struggle with. It’s difficult because of my lifelong issues with ADHD and the fact that when I was really freaking out there for awhile I let too many things go. Like paying federal taxes. 🥺 ugh. But I have peace with this and I regret none of my decisions. If anything I did was a wrong decision, it may have been taking Ibrance because it seemed to really speed up my cancer, like pouring gasoline onto a fire.

Sep 23, 2021 10:50AM Trishyla wrote:

Oh, pipers_dream. I'm so very sorry to hear of your worsening test results. It is a very hard thing to hear. But it sounds as if you are in a place of peace, calm and acceptance.

I'm so very glad your daughter is coming. My sister and I cared for our mother before she passed from lung cancer. If was the most loving, amazing, hilarious and heartbreaking time of my life. Being there for her was the best gift we could have given to the woman who gave so much to us. I hope you and your daughter are able to share a time like that.

I know the possibility of pain is very scary. Have you looked into hospice? They are there to help you to live as well as you can for whatever time you have left. That includes making sure you are comfortable and pain free. I know Medicare and Medicaid usually cover the entire cost.

I wish you peace and love and joy in every moment left to you.

Trish

Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 8/4/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)

24 hours ago Chicagoan wrote:

Dear Pipers_Dream,

I am sorry to hear this news. But I resonate with your relief that hopefully you will not linger too long in pain. I hope that your daughter can get here and that you two can have precious time together. May you be at peace.

Dx 9/21/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 9/27/2016 Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 10/27/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 6 of 6 (157 results)