We are 222,154 members in 81 forums discussing 156,588 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Dogs can detect Cancer.

Forum: Your Furry Friends —

Share pictures and stories of the four-legged friends who make your day-to-day lives better!

Posted on: Sep 24, 2017 05:08AM

123_ABC wrote:

When my dog Molly a Fauve De Bretagne kept coming up to me and putting her nose to my left breast I thought it might be Cancer she was smelling. Having had no experience of this before and feeling a little daft I went to my GP and asked for a Mammogram. The GP examined me and because she could not find a lump would not refer me for a Mammogram. Yes, I did explain about my dog Molly but this made no difference and was left feeling stupid. A few months later the mobile van came round to the village where you can have a Mammogram. Of course I was straight on it. Asking how I could take this opportunity to have a Mammogram. They told me I would be invited because I had reached the right age. I was invited a month later and went. At least I would know for sure by doing this.

I was diagnosed with breast Cancer. My dog had been trying to tell me this all along. Not only this but the evening I came home from the hospital after surgery, the first thing Molly did when I sat on the sofa was jump on the sofa next to me and nudged my left breast. She bounced up and down in a very happy way as if she was so happy that the Cancer was gone. Obviously, she doesn't know what Cancer is. To her it is a very bad smell which she probably knows is life threatening. We did look after a neighbours dog who was dying of Cancer and Molly absolutely knew it. She kept a bit of distance and would not drink out of the same water bowl. Perhaps the experience with the neighbours dog meant she was even more aware of the smell of Cancer.

All I can say is, I am most grateful that she alerted me to this as I would not have known otherwise until it was possibly to late. It was very early days, it was small and had not spread yet to the Lymph nodes. Nevertheless, she knew it was there. Perhaps she even saved my life, who knows.

I have heard from others who have had this experience and even from a lady who had the same experience with her cat. When our dogs and cats are trying to tell us something we need to listen and take action. And they say dogs can't talk!

I hope this helps others and alert someone to follow up on this experience and stop the Cancer spreading in time.

All the best

Angela

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+ Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Sep 24, 2017 06:21AM MelissaDallas wrote:

When I had ovarian cancer my dog kept putting his nose right under my nostrils and doing an odd "sniff, sniff, sniff" with a weird fierce look in his eyes. I know he could smell that there was something wrong

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Sep 24, 2017 10:07AM edwards750 wrote:

I have heard similar stories. I truly believe. Thank God for our fur babies!

Diane

Sep 24, 2017 10:14AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

I've heard those stories as well. My two fur girls can only seem to detect the smell of food 😜.

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 24, 2017 11:10AM - edited Sep 24, 2017 03:05PM by Castigame

I have a beagle who is extremely mild even when she was a puppy. No bark or howl whatsoever. No destructive behavior at all. Closest was a couple of garbage diving for beef residue for 7 plus yrs. Somehow, she used to tear my used faminine products. Beagle is a scent hound btw. Little did I know that my BC is 100% ER pos likely caused by really bad period.

Mimi Dx 1/11/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes Dx 1/11/2017, IDC: Papillary/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/20/2017 Radiation Therapy 7/30/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 10/30/2017

Sep 25, 2017 04:54AM 123_ABC wrote:

Hi Melissadallas

I've not heard of Cancer being detected by a dog by sniffing nostrils. Makes sense though. Molly does check my breath in the morning. She just looks away as if to say your breath stinks. Perhaps that was part of it and just didn't realize.

Thanks for replying.

xx

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+ Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall

Sep 25, 2017 04:56AM 123_ABC wrote:

I think dogs smell your breath to determine your health. They can probably pick up a lot about what's going on with you by doing this.

Sep 25, 2017 04:58AM 123_ABC wrote:

Thanks for reply. I'm sure they can smell just as well as my dog but there is obviously no underlying problem existing with you, thankfully.

xxx

Sep 25, 2017 05:05AM 123_ABC wrote:

Hi Castigame

Thanks for replying.

Yes, that makes sense to me. Although, they do want to smell blood straight away and if you have a wound they want to lick it. As you say, the intensity of the behaviour most likely signifies the problem.

My dog is a scent hound as well. Scent hounds are obviously going to be better at detecting problems and more likely to be telling you about it as tracking scent is all they want to do and were bred to do.

Great to hear these experiences which shows that there are other subtle ways in which our dogs are telling us when something is wrong.

Sep 25, 2017 07:47PM Kicks wrote:

My old Gordon Setter started staying closer to me than he had about 2 weeks before my DX. He had always stayed close to me so put it down to him getting older. (When I was managing the Stable several yrs before, he stayed under my desk when I was in the office or right beside me anywhere I went in the barn or outdoors.).

I just put it up initially to him just being old (12) and wanting to be closer to me. And maybe it was partly. In the next 2 yrs, he would be right with me all the time during TX.

Though a Setter, he had one of the best 'noses' of any dog I've ever had. He could pick out a stick I had thrown into a pile of twigs/leaves/limbs or a rock I threw into a pile of rocks. Hubby got a Black&Tan Coon Hound during my TX time but Cody (GS) had a much better nose than she has.

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/25/2009 AC Surgery 10/21/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/11/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/4/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 26, 2017 11:49AM 123_ABC wrote:

Hi Kicks

Thanks for sharing. That's so sweet to hear. Molly always lies next to me when I'm ill or next to my husband when he's ill even if that means one of us goes to bed early then she will jump on the bed and lie snuggled up next to us because she knows we are not well. Even when my husband closed the bedroom door once she sat outside the door until I let her in. She just has to be next to us when we're ill. It's so incredibly comforting. I'm sure he's still watching over you.

Jul 23, 2018 10:42AM yellowb wrote:

I inherited my dog when my mom passed away from cancer. (I did not especially want a high-strung standard poodle, so of course she quickly became my favorite living creature.) She has become hyper-protective since I became ill -- doesn't want other dogs near me, and growls at the door when people pass by.

I'm sure she knows I'm ill, but I really wonder if she relates the two illnesses!

Dx 6/14/2018, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 6/27/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/7/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Surgery 3/11/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 4/13/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Targeted Therapy 4/16/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)