Join Us

We are 224,965 members in 83 forums discussing 163,804 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: COVID-19: Increased risk for cancer survivors over age 55?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus —

A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jun 18, 2020 09:08AM

SpankyG wrote:

Hi there,

I'm getting mixed messages on this topic.

I had Apocrine Breast Cancer - Grade 3 Stage 1 in my left breast in October 2015.

I underwent a lumpectomy along with lymph node removal (lymph nodes were precautionary & found negative).

I completed radiation, chemo and herceptin.

In October 2018, I was DCIS positive in my left breast and underwent a full mastectomy. No radiation or chemo this time.

I was almost finished reconstruction (still have nipple recon to do) when Covid-19 hit.

I also have a heart murmur and was put on a heart drug during herceptin treatment to maintain my heart rate at a proper level. I am no longer on the heart drug as my heart rate stabilized in the year after completing the Herceptin treatment.

Does this history of breast cancer and being over 55 yrs old place me in a higher risk category?

Thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jun 18, 2020 12:01PM MinusTwo wrote:

Spanky - Sounds like almost two years since your full mastectomy? Any remaining issues with full recovery? How long has it been since you were on the heart drug? What are your docs telling you? And specifically your heart doc? I've heard that if you're more than a year past ALL treatment, with no residual issues, your risk is down. But I'm not a doc. Personally I think I would be extra cautious if I had a heart murmur.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 18, 2020 07:46PM SpankyG wrote:

Thanks Minus Two. I've been off the heart drug since Feb 2018 but my ecocardiogram only recently started showing that my heart health was back to where it was pre-cancer. My family doctor is saying I'm at no risk and I no longer have to see an oncologist for routine check-ins. I don't want to be a nervous nelly but a couple of people I know of in my community were healthy as horses and early 50's but with bouts of cancer in their past....and they both died from Covid-19. Their families were in complete shock.

Jun 18, 2020 08:20PM MinusTwo wrote:

Spanky - I'm being cautious at this point. I don't go out unless I have a mask on and I insist on 6 ft. I'm not being paranoid, but my visits with friends have been in someone's yard - everyone brings their own chairs & drinks. I'm not going back to the gym yet, nor restaurants. But then again I'm in Houston and our cases are soaring. Too many people refuse to wear masks or social distance. Unless you have some compelling reason to drop the protections, why do it?

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 19, 2020 09:01AM SpankyG wrote:

OK thanks Minus Two. I'm going to err on the side of caution as well.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)