Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Soreness and hard lump in breast after lumpectomy

Options
jean5414
jean5414 Member Posts: 1

Help- Is  tenderness and soreness common after a lumpectomy? (3 wks ago) Concerned re very firm lump in breast, that does not seem to be getting better. Will it just dissolve? Thanks.

Comments

• Marie853
    Marie853 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2007
    Options

I have no soreness but still have hard scar tissue 4 1/2 months after my re-excision. My surgeon said it could take a year for everything to get back to normal. I sure hope he is right and it's goes back to it's original shape and feel!

~Barb

• Poppy_Spruce
    Poppy_Spruce Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2007
    Options

Jean,

Have you had a follow-up with your surgeon since the surgery? You certainly can call and voice your concerns, but I am five months past my recision and I have a small amount of hardness behind the incision. Mine is scar tissue and it has gotten progressively smaller as time goes on. This is completely normal - but if you are having a lot redness, excessive tenderness, significant amounts of swelling or your scar is oozing greenish, foul-smelling pus then you should call your doctor.

My scar is nothing more than a sliver, but I do have a dent that is noticeable when I lie down.

• ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited November 2007
    Options

I'm over two years out since my lumpectomy. Though my scar is not that bad, I do have lots of scar tissue and hardness by the scar. I also think the radiation added to it.

I don't want to alarm any women, but a lumpectomy usually will cause your breast to be a different size or shape. The radiation will finish it off. My breast was actually slighly lifted because of the lumpectomy and it is much fuller because he moved tissue around to try to put it into a good shape. I think the rads then kept it fuller because it is bigger than the other one (not by a lot..but by MY eyes) and the nipple is lifted up a bit because the surgery was done at about 12:00.

• myrenewal
    myrenewal Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2007
    Options

I too have a much firmer breast after lumpectomy and significant hard scar tissue.  That being said, I just had a breast MRI which showed absolutely nothing of concern - and I was convinced that I would at least get false positives with all the swelling and lumpy hard places.

So chances are it is normal.  Have you had your follow-up with the surgeon yet?  I agree, voice your concerns to him, but try not to worry too much.  (I know, easier said than done.)

• FitChik
    FitChik Member Posts: 392
    edited November 2007
    Options

I am also over 2 years out and have alot of scar tissue within the excision area and the affected breast is definitely harder. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and rads. I've had many follow-ups, mammograms, ultrasounds and MRIs and everything, so far, remains cancer-free, as far as can be told. I also have fairly significant pain to the touch still and my doctors say that this can go on for an indeterminate period of time.

I'd say have it checked out and then try to forget about it. It's just yet another gift of breast cancer!

~Marin

• blackjack
    blackjack Member Posts: 771
    edited November 2007
    Options

Hi I am new to this and want to say that your breast will remain swollen for some time after treatment. I found for me that if I massage it daily with cream it helps distribute the fluid better and appears less swollen blackjack

• Annieirene
    Annieirene Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi, what was the outcome of the lump you found after your chemo and surgery, I have a friend who had just found what feels like a lump just 3 weeks after her surgery and chemo? - thank you

• winnieyc
    winnieyc Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2008
    Options

Hi,  I am finished with chemo and radiation, but still feel a lump in the area.  Should I be concerned?

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499
    edited July 2008
    Options

I have a hard lump right under the scar area/incision too and have been told it is scar tissue.  I believe this is the most common reason for these lumps but I would ask your oncologist or surgeon to have a look just to ease your mind. 

Assuming it is deep scar tissue, ask about massage techniques to break it up -- this is discussed on the boards too.  I've been doing circular massage with 2 fingers, pressing fairly hard but not painfully, for many weeks and have noticed a big improvement.

• totaldo
    totaldo Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options

I had a lumpectomy 2 wks ago.  Two scars under my arm, one to remover lymph nodes which is about 1 1/2" and hasnt caused me any problems but the one down from that where they took the cancer is very tender and is about 3" long.  Surgeon appointment will be on Monday.  No sign of infection just having problems sleeping because of the constant dull ache.

It would seem most women have hardness for a long time as mine is so large is very hard as well.  Just wondering how long after surgery you feel like you can sleep on your side again.  I am having sleepless nights due to be woken when I roll on my side to sleep.

Not a happy camper without my sleep.

• DiBrito
    DiBrito Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

Dear Totaldo,

I too had my lumpectomy a few weeks ago.  They gave me pain pills/Darvocet and it seems to help.  I set myself up with lots of pillows and sleep elevated so that I do not roll over on my breast - I love to sleep on my stomach and my body knows it.  Anyway, I make a v-shape with my pillows - two one one side and two on the other with the apex at the top - then I wedge my way in.  I finally settle in with pillows that slip under my arms so that my head, my arms and shoulders all propped up as I am nestled in comfortably.  It really helps.  

I am wondering how long the hardness will last.  My breast is not only hard along the incision line but deep inside.  I too have a very long scar. 

• plakatakr
    plakatakr Member Posts: 45
    edited February 2009
    Options

I am 6 months out and had a lump near my incision site which I thought was scar tissue. I had my follow-up mammogram last Fri. They told me it is a seroma (fluid filled sac) which will resorb over time. It can take up to a year. There is no pain or redness associated with it.

• chargergrl55
    chargergrl55 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Options

ok I am confused....my lumpectomy was on the top at the 12 o'clock and my pain and soreness is on the side of my breast close to my arm pit. So I have no harding on top but on the side of my breast I heard the water in my breast which is gone now....but now it is just sore on the side is that normal and a little hard....closer to the lymph node which was removed.  Surgury was two weeks ago? Please help?

• peachy-pie
    peachy-pie Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2012
    Options

I found a pea sized lump in the area where they removed my tumor 10 months ago.    I feel a little better about it after reading this thread,  but have an appt. with my oncologist in 2 days to have it checked.   I had a mammo 5 months ago which was clear and due for another on next month.   Hopefully it is just scar tissue,   my stomach has been in knots.

• Tamjammer
    Tamjammer Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi. I'm totally new to this board. I have been searching for some answers. I had a lumpectomy in October 2011. Chemo followed by radiation. Tonight I found a lump about the same size and same place as original tumor. I am hoping it is just scare tissue. I will call me surgeon in the morning.

Peachy-pie? How did your appt go with doctor?

• Alex12
    Alex12 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Options

My lumpectomy was 5 months ago and I completed radiation one month ago. 

I recently began treatment/massage therapy for mild lymphedema in my arm, and I learned a few things (and I thought I was soooooo smart!).

My therapists are teaching me to self-massage my lymphatic system, exercises to keep the underarm muscles stretched because they do experience trauma from the surgery (my surgeon told me he doesn't cut any muscle but it is pulled to the side so he could get to the lymph nodes) but, they have also showed me how to gently "pinch" massage the scar across my breast and the scar in my armpit to break up scar tissue forming underneath them.   The first couple of days the tissue felt really sensitive and tender again, but that has gone away and it's now just part of my daily shower/lotion application routine.  Some of the numbness on the back of my upper arm is now beginning to fade.

Once you've made sure that it's only scar tissue, talk with your surgeon about this and have them show you how to do it properly so you don't incur any damage to your skin or underlying tissue.

• Sharon648
    Sharon648 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Options

I had a lumpectomy last april.4 rounds of chemo and 34 radiation .The area around the sugery is hard.i finished my radiation in Oct and having a memogram next march..the MRI end of the year..My oncologist told me the hardness might not complately go away..I like my oncologist but he not so good at doing breast exam .I thinking going to do fellow with a new breast surgeon cos my surgeon office is 4 hrs away one way..
    i do self massage during shower and before i go to bed..on my breast hope to break up scar tissues..

• sheilascat
    sheilascat Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Had my lumpectomy 19 days ago.  About a week ago a lump the size and feel of a hard boiled egg appeared.  Contacted BCN who made me an appointment to see doctor in Xray dept.  While having an ultrasound she asperated the lump which was filled with fluid. Only took a few minutes.  No big deal.  ALWAYS contact your BCN if worried about anything.  That's what they are there for.  Good luck.

• Dishgirl3967
    Dishgirl3967 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Options

I am post-op lumpectomy 2 and a half months. This past week I have been experiencing sharp pains from the scar tissue at the beginning of the large incision. I have had nine surgeries throughout my life and I know about scar tissue, however I have never had this kind of pain. I was diagnosed with Triple Neg, 2.5 cm lump with no lymph node invasion. I have decided not to have any chemo or radiation. My question to you knowledgeable ladies is, does the pain from the formation of scar tissue become less painful?  I have been using moist heat every single night since the surgery and it is providing some relief.  I still wear a bra all day every day. 

• thistooshallpass2010
    thistooshallpass2010 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Dishgirl396. I had lumpectomy 3 weeks ago and have to have another surgery in 2 weeks because they didn't get clean margins. The nodes were clear however. The tumor was 1.3 cm. ER/PR +, Her2 -. I plan to have hormone therapy and probably radiation but I strongly do not want chemo. I'm waiting for results of MammoPrint for risk of recurrence. Even if high I don't think chemotherapy will benefit me. I need my immune system to fight off any lingering cancer cells, not have them killed off. Are you happy with your decision to not have chemo?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited March 2017
    Options

thistoo - this thread has not been active since 2013 so it's unlikely you'll get a response. If you go to the 'search' window, you can look for other theads that might be helpful in making your decision.

• Flora7484
    Flora7484 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018
    Options

i am 3 weeks post lumpectomy and snb. I am still tender and lumpy. My underarm is tender.

Is tenderness around nipple area common. I start radiation in 2 weeks. Cancer is dreadful!

• Flora7484
    Flora7484 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018
    Options

I too am 3 weeks out and still have tenderness and hard lumps near incision. I read sometimes it can take 3 to 6 months.

• Tammy2018
    Tammy2018 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Options

My lumpectomy was at 2 sites right next to each other. There was no sign of cancer - thank goodness. It is 4 1/2 weeks and it seems like the hard lump is getting larger, it started bruising, I have sharp pain sometimes and a burning in my arm. I'm trying to get in to the surgeon but has anyone experienced this?