Join Us

We are 217,533 members in 84 forums discussing 160,617 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: CMF treatment survivors and experiences

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Nov 23, 2017 06:36PM

19501952 wrote:

I’m starting CMF on 12/5/17. I’m 65 years old. I haven’t been able to find many/any people with a similar course of treatment. Mine will be 8 sessions spaced 3 weeks apart. If you have any information about this treatment I would love to hear your thoughts.

Dx 9/8/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy

Page 15 of 15 (425 results)

Posts 421 - 425 (425 total)

Apr 11, 2020 10:32PM Moderators wrote:

lisachip, we welcome you warmly here to the BCO community. Sorry you find yourself here, but relieved for you that you are through he surgery. There are many here who have been on CMF, so please look around and let us know how we can best help! We're here for you and understand how stressful things can feel right now.

Warmly,

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Apr 25, 2020 12:02PM lisachip wrote:

Thank you The Mods! for your kind welcome. I appreciate this community and will check in often!

Lisa

Dx 2/2020, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 25, 2020 08:56PM - edited Apr 25, 2020 09:00PM by JRNJ

Hi lisachip,

Sorry I missed your last post. Not a lot of CMF people. I finished 3/10. I had dose dense, 8 treatments every 2 weeks for 4 months, as recommended by Sloan. I'm glad, because I was able to handle it and would not have wanted to drag it out longer. My MO agreed to implement their recommendation. Sounds like you are doing every 3 weeks ,the traditional treatment. Overall, I think it is better than TC from what I can tell. I didn't have any nausea, and I am very prone to nausea, had it really bad during pregnancy. I did have acid reflux. I took Zofran and Pepsid. I take Lunesta to help me sleep, I have insomnia. I actually ate a lot and gained weight, the steroids made me hungry. Day 3 and 4 were rough, usually in bed, fatigue, but a lot of reason is due to the Neulasta which kicked in night 2, but I was mostly functional the others days and by the second week I felt pretty good. I was not working so that helped a lot. I lost about 90% of my hair, which sucked, I thought I would keep more, but maintained a tiny ponytail that I can attach a fake ponytail to and I use root touch up spray for the bald and gray spots. I did have some mental fogginess, but feel fine now. Three weeks after end of chemo I experienced neuropathy pain and numbness in my right hand pretty bad at night. Dr. gave me steroids and I feel better, but not sure if I am stuck with it for life or not. Not supposed to get neuropathy from cmf. I think it is due to inflammation pressing on the nerves, so maybe it will get better with time and healing. I'm doing radiation now, 7 weeks, so inflammation will not get better for a while. I never heard of chemo before and after radiation, for estrogen positive, that is interesting, why are they doing that? I often wonder why radiation is not done first. I think it's all a crapshoot. Did they do Oncotypo and Mammoprint, or just Mammo? With the Neulasta my white blood cells were super high, over normal, but for the last 3 treatments I stopped the Neulasta and got random shots of Zarxio based on blood tests because I wanted to reduce side effects, fatigue on day 3 and 4. I'm going to radiation every day now, and NJ is second in the country for COVID, but I'm not that scared. I'm more scared of the cancer and want my treatments. Wear a mask, wash your hands often and don't touch your face and you'll be fine. Good luck!!! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Pleomorphic Multifocal, Extra nodal Extension, Lymphovascular Invasion. TEs removed due to infection Dx 8/15/2019, LCIS, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/15/2019, ILC, Right, 2cm, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/24/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/2/2019 CMF Radiation Therapy 3/30/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/4/2020 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 8/6/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/25/2020 Prophylactic ovary removal

Jun 10, 2020 10:55PM Ihatechemo wrote:

Hi All,

I finished 6 rounds of chemo on 5/25/19 and completed 20 rounds of radiation on 7/29/19. I'm a year out but checked back here to see how everyone is doing. I am copying below something I posted last year for another new person. I hope this helps. You can do this. I can't believe it's been a year for me.

Previous Posting: I had nausea and bad headache after round 1 of CMF. I had ice bags on my head! I was told to take Extra Strength Tylenol which helped. After rounds 2 and 3 I took my anti-nausea medicine (10mg of Compazine) as soon as I got home from my infusion and also 2 Extra Strength Tylenol. I continued this for the following day. Annoying light nausea seems to linger for a few days after (definitely drink your fluids every day - 64 oz. and have a high fiber diet for the constipation).

After round 1 my white blood count went below 1000 so I am now given a Nuelasta patch on my arm after each infusion. That keeps my count normal but it also comes with side effects. I was told to take Claritin and Alleve starting 2 days before each round and for a few days after. This definitely helps. I believe the Alleve is also helping to eliminate any headache after infusions.

HAIR: Follow what "Inthegrey" previously posted - Silk pillowcase (I found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond), baby shampoo once or twice/week, no color, no hair dryer, curling iron, products, etc. I had about 25-30% thinning 3 weeks after round 1. Then it slowed. I'm hoping and praying to hang on to the rest. I did purchase a wig to be prepared. I also rub Cerave Healing Ointment into my fingernails and toenails each night.

Current Note: I never lost all of my hair. It definitely thinned starting from the back. I never had to wear a wig. I did wear hats and also scarves around my neck. I normally have shoulder length hair and that sort of covered the length I lost in the back. I had it trimmed to chin length to have less weight on it. I only disclosed my diagnosis and treatment to a few close family members. I was fortunate to have been recently retired so I didn't have to look that great everyday for work.

Drink fluids. Eating a bland, healthy fiber rich diet and walking a little each day helped me. However, on days I needed to rest I gave myself a break.

This will pass. Good luck. I am thinking if you.

Dx 12/7/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/5/2019 CMF

Jun 11, 2020 09:49PM JRNJ wrote:

Hi ihatechemo, Thanks for posting. Two weeks after ending chemo I got neuropathy, hands and arms were numb and painful at night and kept me up. I was on steroids for a while, during radiation and felt much better. Then stopped taking them and it came back, but not as bad. Every morning I wake up my hands are numb. But they say that is not supposed to happen with CMF. Anyone else have this?

But no regrets. The Lupron and the Aromosin is almost as bad as the chemo right now with no end in sight like for chemo. My hair is a mess, lots of 2 inch curly frizzy pieces.

Pleomorphic Multifocal, Extra nodal Extension, Lymphovascular Invasion. TEs removed due to infection Dx 8/15/2019, LCIS, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/15/2019, ILC, Right, 2cm, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/24/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/2/2019 CMF Radiation Therapy 3/30/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/4/2020 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 8/6/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/25/2020 Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 15 of 15 (425 results)