Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Has anyone had COVID while doing chemo?

Options
nns121317
nns121317 Member Posts: 110

What was it like? I am vaccinated and boosted and don't leave the house much, but the apparent transmissibility of the Omicron variant has me a little concerned, especially since my husband has to go to work each day and there are few, if any precautions there.

Comments

• 1982m
    1982m Member Posts: 224
    Options

Not sure if you go on Reddit- but if you go the breast cancer forum there and search covid there has been a few post lately. I've read a few bc I'm nervous too. Sounds like the people chatting about it on there have had mild cases. Everyone I read though was vaccinated.

Edit: but if someone’s severely ill they prob aren’t posting on Reddit- so I take mild with a grain of salt…. but it’s still possible, and maybe even likely, that if your vaccinated- even on chemo- that you could have a mild or moderate case.

• Bonniebleu
    Bonniebleu Member Posts: 33
    Options

I’m very concerned about this too. Vaccinated and boosted, but still.

• nns121317
    Options

My husband traveled for Christmas, and I know that at least eight people on his flight home have tested positive for COVID, including those who boarded directly in front of and behind him.

I saw my MO today, and he put orders in to have my husband tested for the next three days. If he tests positive, they'll test me for up to seven days. If I test positive, the MO will give me monoclonal antibodies and the Pfizer antiviral pills, and watch me like a hawk. I don't live in a very populated state, and the MO didn't know of any patients under his care who had tested positive for Omicron yet, so didn't have much insight on that particular strain.

• 1982m
    Options

I’m sorry. That is scary, glad you reached out to your MO. Hoping your husband is negative and you can quarantine from him while you wait it out!

• nns121317
    Options

It's just unfortunate. The only reason we know is because the infected passengers are members of our local college's football team, and yesterday they had to cancel their bowl game because of the positive tests. My husband had questioned traveling at all, but it was likely the last Christmas for a couple of his relatives, and it was important that he see them. Definitely makes me nervous now though! I have round 3 of AC tomorrow.

• Bonniebleu
    Options

I’m sorry NNS. : (

• 1982m
    Options

I’ve been thinking about you NNS. How are you and your husband? Did you make it to your round 3?

Hope 2022 is kind to you and you skipped out on Omicron!

• nns121317
    Options

1982M - Happy New Year, and thanks for thinking of us! All my husband's COVID swabs came back negative, so it appears we avoided Omicron for now. I did have my third AC on Wednesday, and aside from a lot of fatigue, I'm hanging in there. One more to go.

Wishing everyone a wonderful 2022!

• 1982m
    Options

So glad to hear! Hang in there- one more left! Whoop whoop!!!! Happy News Years. :)

• Bonniebleu
    Options

Wonderful news NNS!