Topic: Chaga Mushroom (Inonotus Obliquus)

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Sep 11, 2011 04:05PM

Posted on: Sep 11, 2011 04:05PM

Seashellie wrote:

Wondering if anyone here uses this. I've been researching it and am pretty excited to try it! It's supposed to be the #1 cancer fighting herb in the world and has many other powerful health benefits as well.  Pubmed has several impressive studies on it. I found that David Wolfe has a great explaination about it on Youtube.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfrSBHA3f74  It's a 2 part video - this is for the first part (cut and paste).  

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before. Check it out.

BMX 6/30/11, DIEP 11/28/11, No chemo/rads, Femara Dx 6/16/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 6 (60 results)

Sep 11, 2011 04:51PM - edited Sep 11, 2011 04:52PM by wendy57

My naturopath started me on Chaga from the beginning (shortly after diagnosis) - and have been using Chaga ever since (almost 5 years) - I take it as a Tea - a very earthy flavor, but very easy to get use to.  I buy the Chaga (for Tea) from Herbalists and Alchemist: http://www.herbalist-alchemist.com/
Dx 10/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 11, 2011 10:56PM - edited Sep 11, 2011 10:58PM by impositive

I have heard of chaga through Dr Cass Ingram but I love the David Wolfe presentation. Thanks for the link Sea Shelly! I was especially intrigued because Wolfe talks about melanoma and I have had two melanomas as well as bc.  I am going to be searching for more info on this for sure.  Dr. Ingram does say that there are those out there who are producing synthetic chaga or growing it in stainless tubs....it's not the real thing so beware of imitations of wild chaga.  He also mentions that it gives him energy...not caffeine type energy but energy to complete his day.  Have you found that to be the case Wendy57?

Edited to add the link for chaga where Ingram gets his:

Americanwildfoods.com

Sep 11, 2011 11:24PM impositive wrote:

Sea Shelly, I hope you dont mind but I also posted the David Wolfe link over on the fungal theory thread as it relates to what we are talking about over there. Thank again!

Sep 12, 2011 02:56AM Seashellie wrote:

Thanks Impositive for sharing this with the other thread. I look forward to hearing more input an am also very interested in the fungal theory.

Wendy57 - I'm curious too as to what (if anything) you've noticed from taking the Chaga. 

I ordered mine from www.longevitywarehouse.com 

BMX 6/30/11, DIEP 11/28/11, No chemo/rads, Femara Dx 6/16/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 12, 2011 02:46PM - edited Sep 12, 2011 02:47PM by wendy57

Since using the chaga (drinking as a tea) - I have not been sick at all (5 years) - during chemo (3 months Adriamycin/Cytoxan, 3 months weekly Taxol/Herceptin, then 9 months Herceptin) I did not get sick and all my blood counts stayed withing normal ranges (my oncologist knew I was seeing a naturopath - and told me to keep up whatever it was I was doing - but didn't want to know what it was!!) And yes, I do feel more energetic and have a more overall sense of well being when I drink my chaga!!  I notice the difference when I stop it (like the heat of the summer when I don't want to be "brewing" it for 1-2 hours).  As a side note: Herbalist and Alchemist's Chaga is the natural product from birch trees.  P.S. I too, have had melanoma!

Sep 12, 2011 09:58PM impositive wrote:

I'm trying to decide what form to buy.  Longevity warehouse has capsules, powder and drops and Herbalist and Alchemist has tea and drops.  I see you use the tea, Wendy57, and it needs to be brewed for 1-2 hours?  What form did you choose Sea Shelly (if you dont mind my asking)? 

Sep 12, 2011 10:10PM Hindsfeet wrote:

I'm interested! Where do you buy it? Is the tea tolerable?

Dx 6/13/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 12, 2011 11:54PM Seashellie wrote:

I bought the capsules but am now wondering if that was the right choice. The tincture or tea might be more potent/absorbable?  I trust all of the products at longevity warehouse so am not worried and will at least start with those.

Evebarry - there are a few websites above to buy chaga and there's a lot of info. if you google.  Just make sure it's wild grown and high quality. David Wolfe says that chaga isn't bitter at all and actually has a good flavor. What do you think Wendy?

Sep 13, 2011 05:13PM wendy57 wrote:

The best way I can describe the flavor of the chaga tea is "earthy" - it's not bad at all (I drink it cold - "an iced chaga tea" throughout the day)  My husband had even gotten use to the flavor and will drink it if I have it in the car and he's thirsty.  I use an "old" stovetop glass coffee pot (without the perculator innards) to "brew" my chaga tea - I usually put in 2-3 tablespoons to start and fill the coffee pot with filtered water (approx 8 cups) and bring to boil - then turn it down to a simmer untill it reduces by half or more (and is a very dark brown color) - it takes at least an hour if not a little more.  Then I use a small strainer and fill my glass bottles/thermoses (and add ice - I like cold drinks!).  You can re-brew the left over chaga - but must brew longer - I add 1/2 - 1 tbsp to freshen it up a bit.  Hope that helps. 

P.S. God has a sense of humor: After saying I haven't been sick/ill in 5 years since using chaga - I really feel like I'm coming down with something today!!!!!

Sep 13, 2011 05:19PM 1Athena1 wrote:

Thanks for this information, everyone. I'm going to try SeaShelly's link for the capsules. Tea would be great, but I don't want to raise my Tamoxifen treated body's temperature even more!

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 6 (60 results)

Scroll to top button