Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BIOTIN

Options
2»

Comments

• Rosemary44
    Rosemary44 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2007
    Options

Joan,

And the bad news is, 45 grams is half a 3.2 oz. bar!  2 rows of three.  And we wouldn't put on weight?  I'd have to give up lunch.

In my own little fatigue (how to fix it) sleuthing... green tea is working for me.  When I'm so low, I crawl to the kitchen and make me some, and bingo, I'm moving around again.   I drink decaf coffee, so maybe the little bit of caffeine that's in tea is really enough.   I tried the chocolate, but I really can't do 2 rows of it.  I'd rather go to sleep.

• JoanofArdmore
    JoanofArdmore Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2007
    Options

Holy smoke!!Two rows!!!(UMMMMM)!!How can those people not have gained weight?Somehow I felt really guilty eating one row.I felt sure a SQUARE was it...

Green tea is what gets me going in the "morning".I have invented supertea:Into a very large mug I put 3 bags of elestial Seasonings tea:Antioxident Green, Plum White, and either oji Berry or Acai Green.This makes a delicious concoction that truely makes me feel GOOD!!I look forward to it.

My daughter, on other hand, is a coffee junkie.I used to be one, years ago.She drinks decaff now.But still craves BLACK tea as opposed to green.It IS more stimulating.I know because when she was here the other evening, we washed down a beautiful dinner at the Thai restaurant with 2 rounds of Celestial Seasonings Black Raspberry tea.And I couldnt fall asleep later!

Yeah, this is probably what would happen if I ate 2 rows of dark.

And I do so love my found-again art of sleeping!

When

• Harley44
    Harley44 Member Posts: 2,126
    edited October 2007
    Options

Marin,

Thanks... I didn't know about any of the other chemo cocktails, and I just assumed that if we didn't get CMF, we would lose our hair!  That, and one of the onc nurses told me that I would DEFINITELY lose ALL my hair between 14- 21 days...

My eyelashes are very thin, and they did fall out a bit during my txs.  I am hoping for no more hair loss... I want to wait til about 3 weeks out before I start BIOTIN, just to get the chemo chemicals out of my system.  I will also use Nioxin, which I am not too sure about, since I tried it for my thyroid disorder, and it did NOTHING, except the bottle collected alot of hair that fell out while I was washing my hair.  The shampoo DOES feel good!  and smells good, too!  I will start it at the same time I start the BIOTIN.

Yes, my T was Taxotere.

Thanks...  I'm praying that my hair will come back thicker and darker... but since it's a hormone issue, I have my doubts...

Harley

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,813
    edited October 2007
    Options

45 grams is an ounce and a half.  (30 grams to 1 ounce)

Baking chocolate usually comes in 1 ounce squares. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 344
    edited October 2007
    Options

Can we eat just baking chocolate?

I found some dark chocolate that has at least 85%.  My dh doesn't like it.  He likes the dark chocolate..you know..the "Hershey" kind.  It's semi-sweet.  Therefore, I don't have to share any of the dark, dark chocolate with him.  Cool  Now I need to get out and buy somemore. 

Shirley

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited October 2007
    Options

I got some biotin yesterday for the first time.  My hair isn't as thick as it used to be, but I have plenty, so I'm ok with how my hair is.  It's my fingernails I'm wanting to see improve.  I finished chemo over 2 years ago, and I still have very pronounced ridges.  It's like a constant reminder of what I've been through. 

I was sort of surprised at having choices at the store.  For some reason, I thought biotin was a brand name and that the pills consisted of b vitamins and other things.  I obviously didn't realize that biotin is the ingredient.  

• CaliforniaKate
    CaliforniaKate Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Althea, just wanted to say that I didn't do chemo, but the tamoxifen has really thinned my hair over 4 years. I got Biotin a few months ago. I got the 5 mg. capsules, and take 1 a day with food. I haven't noticed it helping my hair, but it has done wonders for my nails. They used to be strong, and the past couple years were weak, dull looking with lines in them. They are now strong and healthy looking again. Still hoping for thicker  hair growth.    Kate
  • althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I'm getting close to a month of taking biotin, and my fingernails appear to be benefiting.  From the time I went through chemo, my nails sort of seemed porous.  I haven't painted my nails anytime recently, but back then I was, and when I'd use the polish remover, the polish would come off, but the color sort of remained.  It was as if the polish had seeped into the fingernail itself.  At first, I thought it was from using some old polish, but later I noticed it happened every time.  Now I feel like my nails have their old sheen back.  Well, it's getting there anyway.  Ridges are still with me and going strong. 
  • Whorunewayz
    Whorunewayz Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Options

I have to agree about the ginseng being iffy. My girlfriend and her husband used it to get pregnant after 14yrs of low sperm count. It will definitely affect hormones and from what I understand, that is bad news for hormone positive breast cancer sufferers.

• Sweetconnie
    Sweetconnie Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi, can a person take Biotin with out having cancer.