Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

WHAT did YOUR lump FEEL like?

Options
13»

Comments

• didi768
    didi768 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2017
    Options

Know this topic is old but why has no one commented in like forever? It's nice if those who had BC can come back and update or God forbid, give us updates on whose treatments did not work etc.

Anyway here goes. I am 51, had surgery of uterus to stop periods in '07. Don't bleed anymore but do get terrible cramps still. A lot more in last year and there are one or two ovarian cysts present via ultrasound last year. Anyway, my right breast is now smaller than my left and I do feel a lump. It's not painful, just round, and I have no idea what movable vs immovable really means. No pain but sometimes nipple is tingly. All LOOKS fine. I am due for a routine mammogram. My maternal grandma died at age of 40 of this. 1 yr. after diagnosis. So far none of my mom or her sisters have had BC. I do have coughing issues the last three months pretty much non-stop, even after Prednisone pills and am seeing an allergist on Tuesday. I do have allergies and asthma. My chest is killing me and I can't sleep due to coughing. Cough is ungodly in sound. Sound so congested. No inhalers are working. I'm slowly losing wt but it was my choice to eat healthier. It's fun actually. Not that this matters but I am bipolar II and have been hypomanic now for 3 weeks, since before my ear surgery. So I am run down, tired and sick. I THINK I am coming down off my high and am going to crash one of these days making me want to be dead again, so am trying to clean, cook, and organize while I have the energy ugh. Will let you know what happens with my lump.

Thanks all! And if this thread is way too old, please direct me to new one?

• Jeanie_mv
    Jeanie_mv Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi...if there is a more recent thread, please direct me to it too. I am so sorry to hear about your new lump. When will you have your mammogram? Please post and let us know what you find out. I, too, recently found a new lump. Initially I thought (hoping) it might be scar tissue from my lumpectomy, since it is in the same breast as the cancer in 2012, but can't take any chances. It is not in the same spot but over to the left, underneath the breast, just like the 2012 cancer was. About 1 inch round, irregular. Seeing oncologist on Thursday. Just had clean mammo, checkup in December 2016. Could it have sprouted up so fast??

I was diagnosed with IDC, H2+, ER+ back in 2012 and went through TCH and a year of Herceptin, 6 weeks of radiation, total hair loss, and still am on my fourth year of daily Femara pills. Otherwise healthy. Walk daily, very healthy diet, stopped drinking/sweets when diagnosed in 2012.

• didi768
    didi768 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2017
    Options

WEll I just can't get better. A cough has developed and I can't shake it despite good meds, prednisone and inhalors. Allergic Asthma is what i have. I have heard of others who get a new lump pretty fast. i wish us both luck...good to hear from you.

• Icietla
    Icietla Member Posts: 321
    edited March 2017
    Options

Welcome, back, Jeanie_mv. We are sorry to hear of your new concern, and we hope it will turn out to be nothing serious. This is an old thread, so it is easy for new posts to be overlooked here. Come on down to this Forum section__

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/105

• Icietla
    Icietla Member Posts: 321
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi didi768, and welcome to BCO, We are sorry you are having concerns about breast cancer, besides your other health problems. You should report the lump to your Doctor and have it checked out. Your Doctor should also be informed of the history of breast cancer in your family. We hope the findings will be of nothing serious.

Anyone having any change/s of concern in either or both breasts, or in the area of their breasts, is urged to have proper evaluation by qualified Medical Professionals. This website is for information, community, and support. It is not a substitute for Medical Care or Medical Advice.

This is a Forum section for persons diagnosed with breast cancer. Newcomers with breast cancer concerns who have not been diagnosed are asked to keep to the Forum section titled Not Diagnosed But Concerned.

For persons wondering if they have breast cancer, comparing notes (or symptoms, or characteristics) is not helpful. Your lump feeling like a cancer patient's lump does not mean that you have cancer. Your lump feeling like someone else's benign lump does not mean that you do not have cancer. Some cancer patients do not have palpable lumps. Some have lumps that seem immobile, or attached to the surrounding tissue, while some have lumps that seem movable. Some lumps are harder, some are softer. Many breast lumps are not cancerous. None of this should make any practical difference to you, because nothing about others' disease or non-disease experience would mean that you have or do not have cancer. Does this make sense?

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2017
    Options

i found the lump in shower was engaged we were making wedding plans i got my cry out n then decided to fight God first then family heloed me thru especially my fiancee i thought Positive thoughts n HOPE. Praise. God in a 23yr Survivor here to Encourage others. msphil idc stage2 Lmast3 mo chemo before n after mast we got married after finished chemo n before 7 wks rads n 5yrs on Tamoxifen. God Bless Us All.

• Dnbrenn
    Dnbrenn Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    Options

Praying for you Nash

• LoLa18
    LoLa18 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Options

It was definitely different that feeling calcium build up ,larger and I had a tugging feeling and a slight on and off pain! MY CONCLUSION TO Knowing it was something Bad was after doing my self examination in bed ,my nipple inverted! My brain went full fear!I caught it Early stage 1 Triple Negative, please don't trust Mammograms because I had many that looked abnormal but no Biosopi was requested by Doc's! GRRR!

• Kerriwilkie42
    Kerriwilkie42 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2018
    Options

I found my lump from a fall I had fell in late May of this year an hit the corner of my dresser on the side of my rite breast, which bruised the breast really bad for about two weeks almost an one day u went to look inn the mirror to check to see if the bruisinnnng had went away an I felt a small lump bout the size of a nickel. Thinking on well it's probably just from my fall another week went by I checked it again it had gotten bigger so I went to the er. The lump started out feeling like mushy like then as it grew it started to feel like hard an like an egg oval shaped

• Kerriwilkie42
    Kerriwilkie42 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2018
    Options

Sad

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited July 2018
    Options

I found my limp in shower it wasn't there before then out of nowhere it was hard then my nipple looked different also. I just knew I was working in medical field 14yrs in O R and 6yrs in City Clinic. Sorry up top i meant lump. But Praise God 24yr Survivor this yr. ms Phil idc stage2 0\3nodes Lmast chemo rads n 5yrs on Tamoxifen. Was planning Our 2nd marriage when found lump we got married between chemo and rads treatment. Hope n Positive thinking family and first God.

• joleen_lee2003
    joleen_lee2003 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Options

I found a smooth, pea sized lump near my nipple as well back in 2007. Mammogram stated most likey a clogged duct but was told to monitor it for growth and have it rechecked. However, life got busy and I haven't had another mammogram and it's doubled the size. I've also noticed a lump in the right side of my neck.Definitely going to follow up with my doctor this week.

• dovely
    dovely Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2018
    Options

I have always had lumpy boobs, and didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. Went for my annual and planned to get my first mammo the next week. During the exam my doc felt an asymmetrical lumpiness in the breast that turned out to be cancer. It was almost more of a lump cluster, which turned out to be a benign fibroadenoma encased in IDC cancer (I know, ew, and weird). I'm very thin and have very little fat in my breasts so it was pretty prominent, especially as I got closer to my cycle and the fibro swelled

• Each_day_2018
    Each_day_2018 Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2018
    Options

1. Did you find your lump on your own or did a mammogram pick it up? - I found my lump about at age 29, 2 years before my diagnosis. I'd always had fibroadenomas, so I was familiar with lumps and bumps, but this one felt differently. It was more of a 'thickening' than a lump and was causing an indentation in the skin. When I first found it, I followed up with Mammogram and US, which showed nothing, and they seemed to kind of brush me off because of my age. Fast forward to this year, the 'thickening' was getting larger and so was the indentation and now the nipple was turning outwards. I was also very small breasted, so even minor changes were evident, which I am so thankful for!

2. Please describe to me what exactly your lump felt like to you or your doctor. Mine felt like tissue under the skin, maybe like a scar or something. As mentioned before, I'd always had 2-3 fibroadenomas, which are kind of rubbery and slippery and move very easily. This one was not rubbery or slippery. You could move it, but not as easily.

3. Is there a family history? Yes, my maternal aunt, however, genetic testing has since indicated it is not likely related.

• Hazel-Nut
    Hazel-Nut Member Posts: 116
    edited October 2018
    Options

I found my lump myself during a self exam. About six months before I officially felt something I thought I felt something during my self exam but it felt somewhat similar to the right side so I let it go. Fast forward six months and I had lost almost 30 pounds and was down a bra size and whoop! there it is. It felt...wrong. It's painless, solid, and it feels rooted into my breast like tree roots. It's really irregular too. From the left side of it it's deep and the edges almost feel finger-like but the right side of it comes almost to a wedge and is fairly smooth. I knew the instant I felt it that this wasn't going to end up the way I wanted it to. I don't know of any family history of BC. I'm still undecided on whether or not I want to do genetic testing though it is advised since I just turned 34.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2018
    Options

Mammo found mine. One breast was larger than the other. Never felt it but I lost weight rapidly months before so looking back that was a sign.

Diane

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited October 2018
    Options

mammo found my 2 that couldn't be felt.

• MomOfTeenGirl01
    MomOfTeenGirl01 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    Options

Mine felt like the usual firm tissue and lumpiness that my breasts have always felt like. But when I felt a bunch of little bebees in it, that's when I went to the GYN. By then, it was 7cm long, and firm tissue, not an actual "lump."